Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Melee

SteveH

Hi,
Sorry, I am still trying to learn the system and your forums are fantastic.
I am really struggling with the whole Melee rule, I am not sure if, I enter a hex for melee, with say three units, and melee with one enemy unit, I win, that unit is destroyed, with a ratio of 7:1 then comes his defensive melee, of 1:7, he also wins, by rolling the die. Does this mean I lose all my 3 units, as well as his unit in the hex?
It has happened to me twice, the dice Gods went against me. I have no problems with the ratio, just the procedure. I have read somewhere, you only melee with one unit at a time?

Sorry it is a stupid question I know, but I just can't understand why one enemy unit with a with a firepower of 1, can eliminate my leader and, my, 364 squad with an M60 with a 264 squad, in a defensive melee.
If you could help, it would be very much appreciated.

Barthheart

Staff member
You have it right. A lucky dice roll by a single unit can wipe out all the enemy units. But it doesn't happen often.

Either side can choose to attack fewer enemies.

So your example: you have a leader, a 3-6-4 squad with an M-60, and a 2-6-4 squad, while the enemy has a 1 IFP squad.

You attack with 7 IFP vs 1IFP which gives 7:1. The best odds on the melee table are 5:1. You need a 3 or better on 2 dice plus any leadership modifier. So you pretty much guaranteed to kill the enemy. Straight forward.
Now the enemy gets to fight back. He can choose to attack both your squads at once or either squad alone.
Attacking all your squads would be 1:7 odds or 1:3 because that's the worst level on the melee combat chart. 11 or better to kill.
Attacking the 3-6-4 with the M-60 would be 1:5 again 1:3 odds. 11 or better to kill.
Attacking the 2-6-4 would be 1:2 odds. 10 or better to kill.

Melee is close in fighting and represents the combatants shooting at close range, throwing grenades, knife fights etc.
If the enemy unit rolls an 11 or 12, think of it as them throwing a couple of grenades at just the right time to kill/incapacitate all of your men. It's rare but could happen.
Because it's rare but could happen it give the player with fewer units a decision point: do I try to kill everyone with a long shot or do I try to kill someone with and easier shot?

It can be annoying to be on the receiving end of a longshot roll but that's what makes melees exciting and risky play.

Hope that helps.

SteveH

Awesome, thanks for that, beleive it or not I was worried if I played it wrong. Damn I love this system, so punishing, ah well now I can continue the rest of my game, I was waiting for an answer first. Wow, that VC squad must of been wildly peeved off, LOL.
Thanks again!

Unmodified attacks at less than 1:3 are treated as 1:3, but cannot be conducted against MULTIPLE units. The unit could target either squad, but not both squads.
8.0 Melee Combat