Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Mines and Men

Mark Drake

Set this scenario up from Compendium 4 last night for solo play. Had to consult the scenario from Battle Pack Alpha 2nd edition as the setup instructions in the Compendium are reversed (another errata item for the Compendium.)

Setups are scripted for the Marines,the VC have a bit more leeway. My setup is in the first pic,with a VC hs/RPG-2 in hex 4B/J7 and Arnat with a VC squad/RPD in hex 4B/K2.

Mines and Men oct 2017.jpg

Turn 1 sees Arnat open up on the leading Marine M60 team and wipes them out.First LVTP gets hung up on the fence but is still mobile.The RPG team misses and is Shaken by Marine return fire,and rest of marines move up to knock out that team.

Turn 2 sees the Marines wipe out the Shaken RPG team and Arnat di-di's for hex 4B/F2 to reinforce the ville.
One fence is destroyed and the other LVTP moves into the ville from the south,aiming to lay down fire on 4B/I6,which has a VC squad holding the huts there.Sgt Ash and his squad,after picking up the M60,move up and knock out the VC squad in the hut after they Shake.

Turn 2 sees Lt.Diem and his squad in 4B/G6 Shake the LVTP Crew in 4B/H6 when the vehicle AM'ed into the hex (was Open.) Turn 3 sees the Marines move up to this hex;the VC sit tight and wait as they are running out of troops,especially after a VC hs tries to retake the huts in 4B/I6 and are cut down by the Marine 60 Mortar WT and LVTP MG fire.

Turn 4 sees the other LVTP AM up to hex 4B/G5 and Shake Diem and his squad,and Ash moves in and mops up.But now Arnat strikes;she leads her MG squad into Melee against Ash and get the Ambush,which the marines miraculously survive. Two turns of Melee ensue before Arnat takes out Ash and his guys.

Turn 6 and only one Marine squad against Arnat,her MG squad and now he VC Sniper in hex 4B/F8 Hut. The two LVTP's dish out point-blank MG fire and wipe out Arnat's squad and she is overrun by the marine squad in Melee.The Marine WT Shakes the VC Sniper and next turn the marines take him out and capture the last hut hex.

Final score USMC-17 , VC-7 Marines win.

Mines and Men end.JPG

Remember reading this action when a teen in he book "Small Unit Actions:Summer 1966" by Capt. Francis West,USMC. Glad LNL got this scenario onto the tabletop.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Errata for Mines and Men (LNLT Compendium vol.4 version), as compared to the Battle Pack Alpha 1st edition:

· The American unit involved is 1st Platoon, Delta Company, 1st Battalion, 9th Marine Regiment, not Local Viet Cong Forces

· The opponents are Vietnamese Local Viet Cong Forces, not NVA Elements of the 66th regiment

· The Americans setup first, the Vietnamese setup second south of hexrows 5F and 4J

· Setup location for the American 1-5-4 and M-60 should be 5E6, not 5EB

· Maps 4a and 5a are not from Heroes of the Nam. They come with LNLTC4

Mark, how does this compare to the Battle Pack Alpha 2nd edition?

Last edited:

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Can someone with Battle Pack Alpha 1st or 2nd edition minimally let me know what are the setup conditions for the VC? And, ideally, can someone answer my above question of almost 3 years ago? :)

Last edited:

Mark Drake

Stephane,
Just seeing your reply. Am working days this weekend but can take a look when off Monday when off,if not sooner.

Orpheas

Battle Pack Alpha 2nd edition :
Local Viet Cong Forces; set up second south of hexrows 5F ans 4J:

Set up condition in the 1st Edition :
Local Viet Cong Forces, set up second south of hex rows 5F ans 4J:

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Thanks Orpheas!

This is strange, because the VC are not even sitting on the victory hexes and can setup in the same hexes as the American. I think this should be errata north f hex rows 5F ans 4J

Mark Drake

Stephane,

Will post my response on LNL Facebook as cant post pics here and keep getting errors when try to post.