Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Mortar Indirect Fire 18.1and 1.6.5 (2) clarification

JKC

The paragraph and on indirect mortar fire in 18.1 On-Board Mortars states that the firing unit (which does not have a LOS to spotted hex) must be adjacent to a Leader, Scout or Advisor who does have the LOS. However, 1.6.5 (2) states that a mortar without a LOS to the spotted hex only needs to be "adjacent to a friendly unit that does" (have a LOS to the spotted hex). Could that adjacent unit be another Squad, Half Squad or Weapons Team, for instance?

I am unclear which rule takes precedence but both should be congruent. And 18.1 should clarify that unit assisting the mortar to fire must be adjacent.

Thanks.

John

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
First, 1.6.5 refers to Mortar SW, while 18.1 refers On-Board Mortar (aka Mortar WT).

In the case of Mortar SW, only Squads, Half-Squads, Crews, Leaders, Heroes and Scouts not yet marked with a Moved, Fired, Ops Complete, Assault Move, Stealth, Hit & Run (H&R) or Melee marker can direct the Mortar’s fire, as indicated by the first bullet under 1.6.5 (2)

In the case of On-Board Mortar, under 18.1, they can fire indirectly at spotted hexes to which a Leader (11.1), Scout (11.6) or Advisor (11.9) has a LOS. There is no requiremetn to be adjacent to a leader

JKC

Thanks very much for the prompt response and clarification Stephane.

I would suggest that the language in 18.1 be clarified to distinguish between on-board mortars (weapon teams) and mortar squad weapons. The very first words of 18.1, "Mortars (WTs and SWs) ..." as well as "... onboard weapons, such as light Mortars" in the first paragraph of 18.0 led me to think that it applied to SWs as well.

John

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
I agree. It probably come from the fact that Mortar as SW were introduced later in the game land were modules-specific rules at first but, for someone just taking the plunge into LNLT, this is confusiing and the Mortar WT picture does not really convey this information.