Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Move or attack ?

Sequenenre

May I ask you a question that bothered me since long : when do you give the command “move” and when “attack”?

When you instruct your troops to go into an area on the map where you want to move through and where you see no enemy troops, do you give the order “move” and wait until you encounter resistance eventually? Should you give attack-orders only to locations on the map you want to occupy for some time and where you know the enemy is defending?

What I mean is: is there really a difference in the outcome of a fight when doing a planned attack with FUP on a location on the map where you saw no enemy troops beforehand or when your troops where moving and then encounter an unexpected enemy?

kylania

Just look at what your AI does when you order the commands, Assuming you're issuing the command to a HQ unit and not individual units that is. For a Move order you'll get the units all strung out, with an advance guard unit rushing a head, the main force somewhat close in the middle and a rear guard all over the place far to the rear. Take these examples from the tutorial scenario. Working with the 318 Inf Reg we'll give them one waypoint just north of the nearby woods and another waypoint just near the Steinebruck objective. First Move then Attack.

Notice with this Move Order you have AT Gun platoon and C Coy on the road up ahead. A and B Coy on the far right and left well out of place for an attack as side guards and the Mtr Platoon far in the rear as the HQ unit follows on the road.

1MC3sVL.jpg

When you issue an Attack order they'll form up at the FUP as you mentioned, then spread out across the area indicated by the attack box and move forward to cover all of the attack area.

Notice with this Attack order for the same units from the same starting point how different the layout is. Now the AT gun and Mtr platoons are right up with the HQ unit to support the attack from high ground while A Coy pushes from the center, B Coy went north and across the river to flank from the east and C Coy is circling around to come in behind B Coy as well.

qZSNqiX.jpg

Sequenenre

Thank you for your reply Kylania. I see the difference in behavior of the units in the “move” and “attack” order in your example.

I agree that you would give an attack order when you have a clear goal, like the Steinebrück objective. But what would you suggest to do when you just wanted to go to a location on the map, that you think is strategical important, but for which you don’t have any information if there are enemy troops around?

I hope I’m making my point more clear now?

Kurt

Hi Sequenenre , I asked myself the same question when I first discovered CO2 . Personally I just issue a move order and then take appropriate action if they encounter hidden enemy forces . I guess it all depends on the mission and your style of play , if you move cautiously you may avoid unnecessary casualties but you will waste precious time and possibly lose the battle . I would suggest playing the " St Vith " scenario repeatedly but trying different tactics each time to see what works best for you . Losses are unavoidable in war , " fortune favours the brave " so be aggressive .:rage:

Kurt

This is approximately how I played " Manhay Crossroads " for the first time ; I gave III Bn a move order despite intel showing enemy blocking units . Intel is often inaccurate , so those hollow boxes near the highway could be just ghosts .Screenshot 2016-03-20 19.51.12(2).png

Kurt

Okay I have stumbled upon an enemy unit blocking the highway ,Screenshot 2016-03-20 19.59.52.png

Kurt

I am going to bombard this enemy unit for 16 minutes ,Screenshot 2016-03-20 20.02.29.png I un-check the " avoid friendlies " box as I prefer the risk of friendly fire so I can get close support from my arty assets .

Kurt

Here I have changed the orders for I Bn , it will now move quickly along the highway to assist III Bn .Screenshot 2016-03-20 20.04.06.png

Kurt

III Bn will now attempt to bypass this enemy unit in order to capture Manhay before first light ,Screenshot 2016-03-20 20.07.35.png

Kurt

Okay my lead unit has lost a few trucks and a dozen grenadiers to the enemy blocking unit ,Screenshot 2016-03-20 20.08.41.png