Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Move or attack ?

Kurt

Okay its a light tank company , I will not use arty on him as it will not be that effective ,Screenshot 2016-03-20 20.42.59.png

Sequenenre

Thank you Kurt, for your detailed reply and nice example. I think I will use the "try and error" method to see what works best for me, like you suggested ;)

Kurt

Thank you Kurt, for your detailed reply and nice example. I think I will use the "try and error" method to see what works best for me, like you suggested ;)
Sorry I didn't get to finish it but wife made me go to bed. I captured the village before dawn and everyone lived happily ever after.

Reactions: Daz

Daz

Just wanted to add my bit to this on the importance and usefulness of sending out a unit on recon.
This unit is usually given a move order until it reaches enemy resistance.

If you try to move the whole Battalion or even worse a Regiment at the same time, the whole column will move very slowly because they are moving tactically, at the speed of the point Coy.
As the point Coy gets close to enemy units this speed reduces even further.
So what you end up with is the lead Coy doing all the work while the others are waiting around fully kited up in column sometimes kilometres behind the point Coy.
This stop start movement can be incredibly fatiguing for the other units behind the point.

On exercises we used to call it the big green snake, where you could see the long column of men snaking over the hilly terrain.
Moving like this has a concertina effect, where for long minutes you are hunched over your weapon trying to take some of the weight of your overloaded pack from your shoulders, the next you are speed marching to catch up with the man in front.
Its much better to send out a small group of men to recon the route and have the rest resting.
When you then bring the rest of the Bn forward they will move faster.

Of course doing this depends on the tactical situation at the time.
For example if your flanks are exposed you may want to keep the gap between your recon and the rest of the Battalion to a minimum.
Most importantly though the unit sent on recon will report back the strength of the enemy it encounters, so you may want to send the rest of your Bn down a different rout to the objective altogether.

The big difference between a move and attack order is to do with fatigue, speed and security.
Its safer to have your men move everywhere in attack formation dismounted from their MOT vehicles but very fatiguing, meaning they wont be able to cover as much distance in a day.