Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Multiple overrun on an unit

FrancoisR

A unit that survives an overrun and destroy the attacking tank is marked "Melee".
What happen if a second tank overrun the same unit, can the unit defend a second time in Close Assault if it survives again ?

Rules set v5 also precise than fortifications TM applies against an overrun, does we count the wreck as a protection against overrun ?

Thanks

FrancoisR

Sure, you're right it would be the simplest way to manage this situation, I think we will agree on this for the moment.

It's seems not forbidden in the rules and it is now written that overrun are autorized even in bunker hex, as long as the terrain type is ok, but overrun on hex with wreck may lead to complex situation...

Here’s my take...

I would not allow a second overrun on a unit with unit that had already been involved in an overrun and was just marked with a Melee marker in the current turn. You can’t ‘melee’ twice in a turn.

In subsequent turns if the new rules include terrain modifiers in Melee then an existing wreck in a hex would count...something for the lads to cower around and under.

Cheers!

Barthheart

Staff member
First of all Overrun is not melee and surviving units are not marked with a Melee counter. Not sure where you got that from.

Units can be overrun multiple times and get to attempt Close Assault each time if they are able.
The only time a surviving unit of an Overrun gets marked with a counter is if the Overrunning vehicle stays in the hex and forces the survivors to retreat, then the retreating units get marked with a Moved counter.

I've had a vehicle Overrun my unit, shaking my guys, then leave the hex and then back up to Overrun them again! It takes a lot of movement points but can be done.

Read section 15.3 Overruns in V5.0 rules

As for the Wreck question, I'm not sure but I'd allow it and give the defenders the +2 for the wreck as a kind of fortification.

FrancoisR

Thank you for your support... maybe I made a confusion because of this :
Chapter 17.1 Cloae Assault : If the vehicle is destroyed (...) the assaulting MMCs are marked with a Melee marker.

In case of overrun, chapter 15.3 :
If the Close Assault destroys the vehicle, no further action is required from the surviving (both GO and Shaken) infantry in the hex.
Does this means the defending unit is not marked at all and free to move/attack again ?

Anyway, I understand that units can always defend in Close Assault after an overrun, regardless of their activation status. And multiple overrun / defensive Close Assult are allowed in the same turn even by the same vehicle and against the same units.

Regards,

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
My main argument for not allowing a overrun in a hex with a wreck is that it is not expressly allowed under 15.3. And yes, I"m aware that thinking like this means that a hex with smoke or rubble can't be overrun

The other argument is that Melee marker. Granted, it is not clearly indicated in the rules that vehicle can't enter Melee (or a Melee hex) but I refer you to this conversation (https://forums.lnlpublishing.com/threads/vehicles-in-melee.4460/#post-24966) for many examples that infer that vehicle can't indeed enter a melee hex. So considering that 15.3 says that : "Following an Overrun attempt, any surviving GO MMCs/Heroes can Close Assault the vehicle as described in section 17.1 and that this last section indeed requires the placement of a Melee marker (since V3 of the rules actually) on successful close assaulting infantry units, it seems clear that you can't overrun a second time in the precise situation you described.

If you do want to allow overrun in a hex with a wreck, I think Bartheart is correct in giving +2 to the overunned unit (and you could give a +1 to units being overruned in Smoke and +3 in rubble if you go this way)