Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

My Xmas wish list

MM71

Dear all,

I have discovered Command Ops just a few weeks ago and I can already say it was one of the important turning points in my 20+ years wargamer "career".

I am an Army Lt Col and a military history aficionado so I have always been reluctant to use non-professional computer based wargames (they usually tend to sacrifice too much the reality of military planning and operations in favour of products with a better commercial appeal that try to satisfy a wider audience)

Too my wife's despair CO2 has been responsible for many sleepiness nights in the last couple weeks and from the beginning I could't avoid making my own mental wish list without knowing that this forum existed. Now that found it I can't resist to put some of these ideas for discussion. I am sorry if some (or many) of them have already been proposed (or maybe even if they are already part of the game and I have just not discovered them yet).

My humble suggestions:

1) minefields/obstacles

2) aerial recon

3) smoke

4) illuminative rounds (IR)

5) friendly fire (it annoys me to see units from many different parent HQs that are pursuing different objectives simply crossing each other paths with impunity when moving around the map)

6) control lines and phase lines: The ability to define control lines to separate laterally different units and/or phase lines used to coordinate the progress of different units would bring the game to new levels of realism. If this feature reduces too much the playability for many users it could simply be ignored and the game would run exactly as it is now. Or, maybe, at a much high risk of friendly fire (see above)

7) A new overlay with a simple drawing tool so the player can sketch his plan and review its progress as the games go (that would be easy to implement, IMHO, but would be very useful)

8) New orders for Engineers units:
- lay/clear minefields/obstacles
- generate smoke screens

9) New orders for Arty units
- Fire smoke and illuminative rounds
- Ability to receive multiple barrage orders to be fulfilled in sequence

10) New orders for line units
- Reconnaissance. Unlike probing the main objective here is to gather as much info as possible regarding enemy forces along an axis of advance or within a determined area while avoiding engagement and minimising casualties. I see probe as a kind of recon in force.

11) "Bonus" features for MapMaker:

- Ability to load (and latter remove) an image that can be used as a stencil to draw the map.

- Ability to place (or relocate) a point by typing its x and y coordinates

- Better measurement tools (ability to measure distances/angles between points/lines and ability to place no points based on their distance/angle to existing points/angles)

Mauricio

Iconoclast

Hi Mauirico, welcome to the forum!

I enjoyed reading your list, and being a junior member in the community myself, I think I can make the comment that 'fear of realism' is not what this community, or developers will hold back.

Some other wishes that you might want to check out can be found in this thread: http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/threads/future-stuff.901/

Cheers,

A

Daz

Welcome Mauricio

Many of the suggestions you have made, have been mentioned before on the old Matrix site for Command Ops 1.
I especially champion the in game drawing tools for making map overlays on the fly.

If the new sales model is a success for Panther Games, many of these suggestions will be incorporated in time.
Time is the key factor here though because as this is a niche game, Dave the developer doesn't have the money that more mainstream games can generate, so he does most of the coding, bug fixing, reading and posting on the forums himself.
So things move along at a slow steady rate, but I'm sure if you are patient, or can find some wealthy investors for him, most of what is in your list will get incorporated eventually :)

Iconoclast

Original by Daz

If the new sales model is a success for Panther Games, many of these suggestions will be incorporated in time.

would be interesting to know, in case these are not confidential, how well the game has been selling itself. Esepcially if there's an increase compared to CO 1.

A