Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

NaW Digital Bug List

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
Nations at War Digital Bug List.jpg
NaW Digital Bug List
- If you are having an issue while playing the game please leave a bug report here. Please make sure to leave as much description as possible, what side you were playing, what scenario, what mode of play, screenshots, etc.

FranciscusX

Hi. Just bought Mac version on Steam and installed it. It does not launch, the error message states that there was an error updating the game (missing exe) - apparently java related.

upload_2020-4-25_18-32-45.png
Regards

Daniel Karsai

Hi! There was a last minute hiccup.
Could you please try restarting steam, uninstalling/reinstalling if the option is available or perhaps verifying integrity of the game files? You can do that by opening the game properties in the steam library page, at local files tab, should be a button to verify.
Let me know if it is sorted.
Thanks

FranciscusX

Ok, I restarted Steam, uninstalled and installed the game and now it launches. :)

Thank you

Is there a way to play the game in fullscreen mode ? That option is dimmed on the launch menu

Regards

Cap'n Darwin

Website
ontargetsimulations.com
Great to see the digital release and it looks great (maps and counters are awesome), but I am seeing a few bugs and have a few UI issues/suggestions.

Bugs:
1. The arrow keys are cycling through moving the map, zooming the map, or not doing anything as I progressed through the Tutorial. I don't know if it is the tutorial impacting this or the zoom function, or an odd combination of those items.
2. When a scenario loads, the scenario map should be centered on the screen. Right now I get the bottom left corner of the tutorial map when I start it.

Suggestions:
1. Map movement would be easier with a left click and hold map drag. Edge scrolling and keys are okay, but for short movements when looking at units there is nothing better than just mouse dragging the map.
2. Some UI elements are large on my screen and take up more screen then there informational value and then the draw chits are so small and hard to read. Also having fixed static elements with no way to move or resize or collapse makes reading a full map difficult. More of those UI items should act like the info cards that pop up and display when I click a unit.
3. Is there a way I am missing to use the mouse to trigger fate points when die rolls occur? I need to review the manual again and try the tutorial again and see what I missed.

Daniel Karsai

Glad the issue is resolved, FranciscusX!
For the release, one compromise we had to make was forcing windowed mode on Mac to avoid a crash that was happening on certain devices. I've added a workaround that may or may not work for you: If you want to try it, you'll have to enter a launch option through steam:
Find the game in your library, right click and hit properties:
wugzpLF.png

Just type "macFullscreenPass" in there, and re-launch the game. The checkbox in the launcher should be operational BUT I cannot guarantee at this time that the game will run properly.

Cap'n Darwin:
The game is made using a somewhat dated engine, unfortunately the UI is one of the weak points which means draggable or resizable panels aren't reliable to implement. This is also why the arrow keys sometimes affect various things. The draw chits enlarge themselves a bit when hovered over by the cursor. Let me know which panels in particular you feel are wasting a lot of screen space and I'll see if i can trim them down a little at some point.
I couldn't make left click drag the map around as it would conflict with existing controls but, the mousewheel button (or middle mouse button) now works to that end in the new update we just released (1.0.1c)
The camera will also now be centered when starting a new mission.
As for fate points, whenever you are eligible to spend some on dice, a glowing "FATE" button will appear in the bottom center of your screen. Let me know if it's unclickable or something.

Cap'n Darwin

Website
ontargetsimulations.com
Thanks for the fast reply. Just played Aww Nuts! and saw a couple of other items/bugs.
1. While Ops Complete showed up on the AI units in all cases, my player units on the map was a 40/60 showing on complete units. The Ops Complete would show on the popup unit info when I went through all of my units, but that did not match the map.
2. The die rolls for Assaults tend to cover over the units on the map and make seeing the effects of the attack difficult until the rolls fade. Could those results either be split above and below or left and right of the combat hex?
3. End Game. You do get a win/loss message which is nice, but I would also like to see a listing of losses for both sides and the state of remaining units.
4. There were a couple of times I was presented with op-fire options and could select units and draw a red line to hexes, but I could not get the op-fire to commit.
5. Having a way to see the HQs command radius on the map, either hotkey, button, or just a colored ring when selecting the HQ would be helpful.
6. AI Unit Dance. We had a similar AI problem with Red Storm when the AI decides to move forward, then spots something and bounces backward. It's tough to program but if units are attacking or need to cross the map to exit they need to push forward and not move back, especially when out of range of the enemy.

Keep up the great work. I am finding the game to be a lot of fun and can't wait for the other battle packs to release!

Daniel Karsai

Hi, Dean! Do you recall anything specific happening right before the crash happened? How far you were into the scenario, what phase of formation activation it was during etc.
Also, could you see if the game produced a report of the error?
If you're on a windows machine, the error logs produced are under the following path:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Nations At War\logs"
If you can share the files you find in there, that would help me a lot, thanks!

Cap'n Darwin: thanks for the input! Regarding the op fire issue, is there any chance your units might not have had line of sight to the hex you were trying to select? The tooltip next to the cursor should be pretty reliable in explaining what prevents it. If you DID have the ability to confirm but your unit(s) did nothing, please let me know any details you can recall about the incident. Was the enemy doing a stacked operation?
On Ops complete markers: if you could post a screenshot about the issue, that would be very helpfu.
Also, HQ radius is shown during your operations phase when the cursor is hovering over it. Example:
7qaLkjb.png

It's the fuzzy gray line (it is a different color for the various formations)
The screen gets very busy at times so I opted to not have it show when it's less useful.

FranciscusX

Hi

Tried the MacFullscreenPass and it worked ok so far. Better screen resolution selecting the native resolution for my 27 inch screen.
Played the tutorial and got wiped out by the allies :)

(PS: The hex coordinates are covered by the units. Any way to see them better ? Or to display them on the window that appears when we select the hex ?)

Rehards

Dean Taylor

Hi, Dean! Do you recall anything specific happening right before the crash happened? How far you were into the scenario, what phase of formation activation it was during etc.
Also, could you see if the game produced a report of the error?
If you're on a windows machine, the error logs produced are under the following path:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Nations At War\logs"
If you can share the files you find in there, that would help me a lot, thanks!

Cap'n Darwin: thanks for the input! Regarding the op fire issue, is there any chance your units might not have had line of sight to the hex you were trying to select? The tooltip next to the cursor should be pretty reliable in explaining what prevents it. If you DID have the ability to confirm but your unit(s) did nothing, please let me know any details you can recall about the incident. Was the enemy doing a stacked operation?
On Ops complete markers: if you could post a screenshot about the issue, that would be very helpfu.
Also, HQ radius is shown during your operations phase when the cursor is hovering over it. Example:
7qaLkjb.png

It's the fuzzy gray line (it is a different color for the various formations)
The screen gets very busy at times so I opted to not have it show when it's less useful.

Hi Daniel (hope I'm replying in the right place!)
Re: 'A little Tea' crashing, it does this as soon as I click 'Start Game'.
Found the error logs but I can't seem to copy them here (they are empty notepad files)
But I'm not sure if I'm doing that right either (newbie here!)

secu

Hello, first test for a multiplayer game, we can connect launch the game, but each time we are disconnected during the setup phase.

Cheers

Daniel Karsai

FranciscusX: Coordinates may be added in the future, it will require a bit of work so I'll be looking at that after technical issues have been mostly resolved.

Dean Taylor: I have not been able to find the cause of the issue yet, the empty logs indicate something going wrong before the game is able to take note of it. Would you be able to share your hardware specifications?
If you're a mac user, let me know what model your device is,

If you're on windows an easy way to gather information is to search for "run" in the start menu, and type "dxdiag" into the prompt that comes up with it. It might take a few moments to appear, this is what you should see:
YX65uzY.png

If you could tell me what operating system and how much memory you have, plus on the Display tab the name of the device and the Display memory amount, that would help me understand if there is a compatibility issue. Thanks!

secu:
I have addressed the multiplayer issue, sorry for the inconvenience. The game doesn't have to be updated for it to work but there will be a patch coming out soon with some additional fixes anyway.

Wiggum

I just played my second scenario and had to realize big AI issues.
Scenario was the "non snow" scenario of the core game.
First, the AI got unlucky during the chit draw and i activated first and could take key locations. The AI moved back and fourth (this sems to be a wider issue since i saw this too in my other game and other players mention this also). So next turn i again got lucky and could occupy good positions.

The AI did nothing at all in the remaining 7 turns. During the AI activation it only used airstrikes.
AI stayed completely motionless for 7 turns and lost. Probably out of "fear" to move into my LOS, i guess this also explains the really strange one hex forward, one hex backward AI moves that happen often.

20200426195240_1.jpg

Also, i paid much attention but my Fate points suddenly were gone. It is way to easy to accidentally use them during a move. Maybe there are other situations were this can happen too.

Daniel Karsai

The AI is a bit of a wildcard for now admittedly. We're working on improving it across the board though it's a long and difficult process. You are probably right on the assumption that the AI fears entering enemy line of sight.

Doolan

I noticed the back and forth behaviour as well, the last time in the Nuts! scenario. As soon as the AI reached the same hex column as my foremost units, it just backtracked, as if it tried to keep my units ahead of it at all times – a problematic course of action in a scenario that can only be won by piercing through the front lines.

Of course, I understand the AI is going to be a bit rough, especially in early access and considering the "exit west" victory condition is somewhat exotic. I point it out merely in case the observation (the AI seems to avoid entering a hex column deeper than my foremost positions) can be useful to the devs.

Great job on the port so far!

Robert Robel

thanks so much for making this available and in a format that we could try with an inexpensive option before we buy more scenarios. I enjoyed playing the nuts scenario as the Americans. I may not understand the rules correctly but another thing I think the AI was doing is firing on improved positions with halftracks when they could do no damage because the 1st hit was ignored. also, it seems the halftrack should have dismounted the Infantry to assault the improved positions but instead were held up for the entire game unable to inflict damage

Wiggum

Are acquisition markers in the game? I had multiple instances of unit firing at static hard targets and never have seen a acquisition marker placed. In the board game this is a rule.

Wiggum

The AI is a bit of a wildcard for now admittedly. We're working on improving it across the board though it's a long and difficult process. You are probably right on the assumption that the AI fears entering enemy line of sight.

Thats why i think Hotseat should be a priority if is is easier to implement then improving the AI.
I have to say the AI behaved beyond awkward in all games i have played so far (4) so the only way to play & enjoy this game for now seems to be MP which is a shame because it really is fun and looks great.
Since many wargamers like solo wargaming, Hotseat is important i think.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Are acquisition markers in the game? I had multiple instances of unit firing at static hard targets and never have seen a acquisition marker placed. In the board game this is a rule.
I suppose some of those instances did not result in a disruption/reduction/elimination result right? Because acquisition markers are not placed in those situations