Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Newbie in the game....

VinSix

Well, what can I say.... I only wish I'd picked on this game years ago.. I have been totally immersed in this game - (its awesome in my humble opinion). I kicked off with the tutorial - St Vith to master the basics... still in that phase...Regards.

Last edited:
Well, what can I say.... I only wish I'd picked on this game years ago... since the covid-19 leave period... I have been totally immersed in this game - (its awesome in my humble opinion). I kicked off with the tutorial - St Vith to master the basics... still in that phase... however, thought sod it... lets buy the whole pack.. (don't tell the missus mind)… :)
I fully intend to put down all other wargames and just focus on this while the long hair general permits me too.

As you get deeper into its mechanics, you'll discover this "game" offers significant opportunity to explore many aspects of the military arts, with immersion in some complex task management activities such as planning, scheduling, resource allocation, and personnel management.

If you're interested in any or all of those, you'll be glad you took the plunge.

As far as managing the missus, the best tactic I've found is when there's a critical decision on the battlefield, save the game and walk away to chat with her a bit. She'll never suspect you just needed a rest ;-)

VinSix

Thanks Jim, I've read some of your posts. Great Info and lots to learn from...appreciate it.

VinSix

I have been writing up a set of orders to follow to really immerse in the simulation... This might seem overkill but thought I would do this to help understand and come up to speed.. I don't specify exact orders configuration as that will need to be applied in simulation. However, for operational planning I thought this would help.. This approach is based on the planning OODA loop with a set of SOPs in the background.. I have used to Daz's AAR for St Vith to aid - using that tactical approach.. obviously mapping or ground model is already available. Set of Orders with out any models...

Any thoughts or overkill ?? Regards

Operational Plan - Op Rodenhurst Briefing Notes

HHQ General Outline
Strategic Approach
  • As part of the 3rd Army counter-offensive on the southern border the 4th Armd Div is now approaching St Vith, which is the last supply route to Enemy still in the Bulge. Taking and holding St Vith will achieve a 3rd Army Objective of trapping those forces.
  • CCA will conduct operations to secure the approaches to St Vith.
  • CCB will conduct operations to secure and hold St Vith once CCA has cleared the approaches
  • CCR will remain to standby to provide western flank protection against approach enemy units carrying out CATK up into St Vith western approaches.
  • Brigade and Divisional Arty/Air Assets will provide Interdiction and Suppression bombardments against enemy positions in support of CC operations.
Divisional Primary Objectives (NLTs)
  • Secure and Hold St Vith (NLT D2 1200)
  • Destroy the Enemy
Divisional Enabling Objectives (NLTs)
  • Establish Bridge Head at Steinebruck (NLT D1 2359)
  • Secure Lommersweiler (NLT D2 2359)
  • Secure Breitfeld Crossroads (Once CCB arrives <0200060145) (NLT D2 2359)
  • Secure Schillerbach (NLT D2 2359)
Divisional Secondary Objectives (NLTs)
  • Secure Gruffingen for CATK (CCR) (NLT D3 1200)
  • Secure Weppler (NLT D1 1200)
Friendly Forces - 4th Armd Div
  • CCA (In Situ)
  • CCB (D2 0200)
  • CCR (D3 0700)
  • 4 Armd Div HQ (D2 0200)
  • AIR
Enemy Forces
  • Located Steinebruk-Lommersweiler Area Consisting of the 29 VG Div and possible SS Panzer Units.
  • Moving South toward St Vith ETA 24hrs
  • Intel spotted German Armor Column moving West to East ETA 48hrs
  • Positions identified South of Steienbruck south of river and centred on Bridge at SB. Estimated at Regt Strength consisting of Infantry and Engineers
  • Positions identified as well establish FS positions at Lommersweiler Estimated at Battalion Strength. Consisting of Mechanized and Engineer Units.
  • Key threat in area is AT Stugs Unit and Indirect Firesupport Units.
Supporting elements
  • Arty 3 x ARTY (1 of which is 155mm)
  • Air Support (Close Ground Attack) adhoc
Considerations
  • MSRs Alpha and Bravo
  • Perimeters/Vulnerabilities CATK
  • Flanks/Rear Protections
  • Blocking Positions/Guards
  • CATKs
  • Command Capacity
Key Timings
D1 Start - 0600
D1 Secure Steinebruck - <2359
D2 Reinforce - 0155 4 Armd Div HQ
D2 Reinforce - 0200 CCB.4
D2 Secure Schilerbach - <2359
D2 Secure Lommesweiler - <2359
D2 Secure Breitfeld - <2359
D3 Reinforce - 0705 CCR.4
D3 Secure Gruffingen - < 1200
D5 Stop - 0600

Initial Tactical Plan

Unit Operational Planning Objectives

Tactical Phases

1a CCA 51 Mech will launch an assault to secure a bridgehead at Steinbruck NLT D1 2359 where 51 Mech will reorg for next Obj.
1b CCA 318 will launch concurrent flanking attack on SB NLT D1 2359 in support of 51 Mech.

2a CCA 51 Mech & 1 Bn 318 Inf will conduct a joint assault to Secure Lommersweiler NLT D2 2359 where 318 will dig in and 51 will move on to FUP north for assualt on Breifeld.
2b CCA 35 Tank will send a small Recon Force to Scout MSR Alpha and secure the Village of Setz to provide MSR protection and Rearguard.

3a On the arrival of CCB (ETA D2 0200) they will move dow MSR Alpha to FUP for Assualt to secure St Vith (NLT D2 1200) securing Schellerbach in the process.
3b CCB to Defend St Vith - Dig in and await CTAK from Enemy NLT D2 1200.
3c CCA 51 Mech with continue to FUP and launch assault to secure Breitfeld NLT D2 2359

4 On the arrival of CCR (ETA D3 0700) to move west to secure Gurfflingen and swing North to launch CATK at enemy formations attemtping to disrupt supply corridor MSR Bravo and enemy rear ech units.

Contingency Plan
  • Actions on: Flank Attacks/Probes against West Perimeter 318 to provide Block Defence in Lommersweller area and 51 Mech further North west in Breitfeld areas protecting MSR Bravo in the process. We also will be conducting CATK operations on the western flank with CCR to clear out enemy formations north toward St Vith.
  • Actions on: Flank Attacks/Probes against Northern Perimeter 35 Tank to provide block and flank protection on Northern perimeter road where viable. Arty will also be called in to suppress where required.
Tactical Execution PHASE 1: SECURE BRIDGEHEAD Steinebruck

COMBAT COMMAND Objectives:
  • Secure Bridgehead at Steinebruck with combined frontal and right flanking assault.
  • Scout MSR Alpha route and Secure Met
TACTICAL ORDERS

1st BN 318 INF:
<UNIT>
<UNIT>

Tactical Execution PHASE 2: SECURE <Next Objective>

…………………………

john connor

Welcome here!

At least that way - writing everything down - you'll be able to seriously track the truth of that saying that Dave (the developer) is very fond of - 'no plan survives first contact'...

VinSix

Updated set of orders - not to much variance but tuning up timings... have not kicked this one off yet...

As previously stated but with Divisional planning map.... This time.. been on this all day as had to learn Inkscape… also incorporating some of the graphics Daz (all credit to Daz on this for the style etc) created in past also used Symbol.Army generator.... My plan would be for each Phase and sub phase to write up and map each tactical phase and plan...based on Divisional objectives...

Operational Plan - Op Rodenhurst Briefing Notes

HHQ General Outline

Strategic Approach (Survive first Contact) :):nailbiting:
  • As part of the 3rd Army counter-offensive on the southern border the 4th Armd Div is now approaching St Vith, which is the last supply route to Enemy still in the Bulge. Taking and holding St Vith will achieve a 3rd Army Objective of trapping those forces.
  • CCA will conduct operations to secure the approaches to St Vith.
  • CCB will conduct operations to secure and hold St Vith once CCA has cleared the approaches
  • CCR will remain to standby to provide western flank protection against approach enemy units carrying out CATK up into St Vith western approaches.
  • Brigade and Divisional Arty/Air Assets will provide Interdiction and Suppression bombardments against enemy positions in support of CC operations.
Divisional Primary Objectives (NLTs)
  • Secure and Hold St Vith (NLT D2 1200)

• Destroy the Enemy (Not at expense of achieving objectives i.e. stragglers etc)
Divisional Enabling Objectives (P = Phase)
  • P1 Establish Bridge Head at Steinebruck
  • P1 Secure Weppler (Rearguard/Block) (Secondary Obj)
  • P2 Secure Lommersweiler
  • P2 Recon and Clear MSR16 of enemy positions and Secure blocking position at Setz.
  • P2 Secure Schillerbach
  • P3 Secure Breitfeld Crossroads
  • P3 Secure and Defend St Vith (Primary Obj)
  • P4 Secure Gruffingen for CATK (CCR) (Secondary Obj)
Friendly Forces - 4th Armd Div
  • CCA (In Situ)
  • CCB
  • CCR
  • 4 Armd Div HQ
  • Air/AA/Arty
Enemy Forces
  • Located Steinebruk-Lommersweiler Area Consisting of the 29 VG Div and possible SS Panzer Units.
  • Moving South toward St Vith ETA 24hrs
  • Intel spotted German Armor Column moving West to East ETA 48hrs
  • Positions identified South of Steienbruck south of river and centred on Bridge at SB. Estimated at Regt Strength consisting of Infantry and Engineers
  • Positions identified as well establish FS positions at Lommersweiler Estimated at Battalion Strength. Consisting of Mechanized and Engineer Units.
  • Key threat in area is AT Stugs Unit and Indirect Firesupport Units.
Supporting elements
  • Arty 3 x ARTY (1 of which is 155mm)
  • Air Support (Close Ground Attack) adhoc
Considerations
  • MSRs Alpha and Bravo
  • Perimeters/Vulnerabilities CATK
  • Flanks/Rear Protections
  • Blocking Positions/Guards
  • CATKs
  • Command Capacity
Op Timings
  • D1 0600 Start
  • D1 <0800 P1 Secure Weppler
  • D1 <1200 P1 Secure Steinebruck
  • D1 <1800 P2 Secure Lommesweiler
  • D2 0155 Reinforce - 4 Armd Div HQ
  • D2 0200 Reinforce - CCB.4
  • D2 <0600 P2 Recon/Clear MSR16
  • D2 <1100 P2 Secure Blk @Setz
  • D2 <1000 P2 Secure Schilerbach
  • D2 <1000 P3 Secure Breitfeld
  • D2 <1200 P3 Secure St Vith and Defend
  • D3 Reinforce - CCR.4
  • D3 <1200 P4 Secure Gruffingen
  • D5 0600 Stop
High-level Tactical Planning

Unit Operational Planning Objectives

Tactical Phases
  • 1a CCA 51 Mech will launch an assault to secure a bridgehead at Steinbruck where 51 Mech will reorg for next Obj on Lommersweiler.
  • 1b CCA 318 will launch concurrent Right flanking attack on SB in support of 51 Mech. 318 also to block at Weppeler.
  • 2a CCA 51 Mech & 1 Bn 318 Inf will conduct a joint assault to Secure Lommersweiler where 318 will dig in and 51 will move on to FUP north for assault on Breitfeld.
  • 2b CCA 35 Tank will send a small Recon Force to Scout MSR16 and secure the Village of Schillerbech and Setz to provide MSR protection and Rearguard.
  • 3a CCA 51 Mech will continue to FUP and launch assault to secure Breitfeld
  • 3b On the arrival of CCB they will move along MSR17 to FUP for Assault to secure St Vith
  • 3c CCB to Defend St Vith - Dig in and await CTAK from Enemy.
  • 4 On the arrival CCR to move west to secure Grufflingen and swing North to launch potential CATK on enemy formations attempting to disrupt supply corridor MSR17 and/or attacking St Vith from western positions.

Contingency /Actions ON

• Actions on: Flank Attacks/Probes against West Perimeter 318 to provide Block Defence in Lommersweller area and 51 Mech further North west in Breitfeld areas protecting MSR Bravo in the process. We also will be conducting CATK operations on the western flank with CCR to clear out enemy formations north toward St Vith.
  • Actions on: Flank Attacks/Probes against Northern Perimeter 35 Tank to provide block and flank protection on Northern perimeter road where viable. Arty will also be called in to suppress where required.
Tactical Execution PHASE 1: SECURE BRIDGEHEAD Steinebruck / BLOCK at Weppeler
........ more to follow (AAR reports etc)
Tactical Execution PHASE 2: SECURE Lommersweller / Clear MSR16
Tactical Execution PHASE 3: SECURE Breitfeld / FUP for St Vith ASSUALT / DEFEND
Tactical Execution PHASE 4: SECURE CATK positions on Left Flank ( No Dependencies could will run concurrently with P3)

Divisional Op Plan map attached

RegardsStVithDivOpPlan.png

Markojager

Nice, Operational Plan, it has a good order of priorities. The map is excellent. Hope there are more from other operations in the future.