Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

No Opportunity Fire when Close Assaulting

Fran3ois

Rule v5.0 p95 Close Assault procedure:
"Second, move the assaulting MMCs/ Heroes into the vehicle’s hex (there is no Opportunity Fire (5.3))."

I'm not sure I'm getting this right. What happens if units start their Close Assault 3 hexes away from a target vehicle?

1) Do they pass a pre-assault Morale Check right away, before even starting their move, or do they move 2 hexes first, and pass their moral check once they reach the hex adjacent to their target?
2) Is there any Opportunity Fire allowed while they run towards their target, or is it prevented, just because these are Close Assaulting? In other words, are Close Assaulting units immune to Opportunity Fire, even if they have to cross several hexes before reaching their target?
3) "Units that fail the pre-assault MC remain in the hex they occupied prior to the MC. If these units moved, place a Moved marker on them. If not, place them under an Ops Complete marker." Can these units be targeted by Opportunity Fire then? By the way, is a unit under an Ops Complete marker considered as spotted?

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
There is no opportunity fire when you enter in the vehicle hex, just like there is no opportunity fire when you enter a hex for Melee. If they have have to move two hexes to get into the vehicle hex, then they can be opp fired in those two hexes

The close assault morale check is made just prior to entering the vehicle hex. if they fail it after having moved, they are marked moved and can be fired on in a later impulse (so striclty speaking, this is not opp fire). If they were marked ops complete, they would have to be spotted to be fired on, as ops complete marker does not make a hex spotted (see page 51)

Fran3ois

There is no opportunity fire in the vehicle hex, jsut like there is no opportunity fire when you enter a hex for Melee. If they have have to move two hexes to get into the vehicle hex, then they can be opp fired in those two hexes

So what's the timing of the pre-assault MC? Is the MC rolled for in the very last hex, the one prior to entering the vehicle hex?

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
No (you asked your question while I was editing my answer :)). Page 51 does not list an Ops Compelte marker as a situation granting a spotted status to a hex