Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Noob questions re Taganrog

76mm

Hi, I'm new to this series and just finished my first scenario (Liberation of Taganrog). This game system is refreshingly original and I look forward to playing quite a bit. But a couple of questions:

1) Playing as Germans, who are conducting a fighting withdrawal, one of the problems I had was that some units, often HQ units, simply wouldn't move with the rest of their units. I understand that sometimes they can't because of suppression, etc., but often the units were not suppressed and had high cohesion, yet they sat in place for hours while their sister units or subordinates retreated to safety. One pioneer battalion HQ sat from about 13:00 until 03:00 before I could coax it to move (granted, part of that time it was in close proximity to Sov units and/or suppressed). What could have been going on here, and how do I figure it out during a game.

2) Some of the victory objectives (IIRC Valkyrie Line #1 and #2) said that I would earn points by holding them from D1, 12:00 until D2, 05:59. I did so, but did not receive any points. I didn't have any units sitting directly on the objectives, but they were behind my lines with (as far as I know) no Sov units nearby. Is this a bug or was I doing something wrong?

3) I'm looking forward to more East Front content--any clues as to when more might be released? I've seen the Stalingrad scenario under development but was wondering about other scenarios, and maybe an official release?

john connor

Hey 76mm. Glad you're enjoying it. Welcome! It's a great game. The Taganrog and Stalingrad scenarios are user-made content (made by Chris Maiorana of TheSharpEndGaming) so if you have issues with the way he has set up points and such like then maybe it would be easier to ask him direct at http://thesharpendgaming.blogspot.fi/ He's very helpful. There are no official EF scenarios at present, but a scenario pack dealing with the Chir River battles is planned. It was originally 'scheduled' for later this year, but this time next year would be closer now, I think (just my guess - I'm not on the development team) as there are a selection of code changes necessary before it can be done, I believe (mounted operations, in particular).

Hard to say what's happening with your HQs without a screenshot showing the orders (with the units in question highlighted). Can you do that? It may be something simple, or it may be a bug. There have been HQ bugs in the past. HQs shouldn't be in the front line, generally, whether attacking or withdrawing.

What version of the game are you using? You should be on .19. That's the latest.

I think best if you take a pic and post it. If it's a bug then Dave (the developer) will need a game save from just before the order was issued. He's VERY diligent in working through bugs. You send the save to support@panthergames.com along with a mail linking in the thread in here where you mentioned the issue. But it may be that people more experienced in here can work out what's going on if you post a pic.

Last edited:

76mm

Thanks John, a couple responses:

1) sadly I just played this through, so no saves. Will play through again and take some screenshots, etc.

2) Yeah, I'm using .19, and I'm not sure if there are any bugs, I just don't understand certain unit behavior, although maybe I'm giving incorrect orders.

3) I don't have an issue with VPs in Taganrog, I don't think, but they didn't work like I thought they would from the description in the game. Will check out Chris' website and ask him.

This is a seriously cool game; I haven't gotten into until now because for whatever reason I'm only really interested in the Eastern Front, although I might try out some of the North Africa scenarios for kicks.

john connor

You have to have units within the objective circle to get points for objectives. If there are enemy units within the circle too you can still get the points if you have a certain weight of firepower in there greater than theirs (I forget exactly how much). This requirement can lead to creative use of minor assets (to hold objectives), or even bases.

Chris is just about the only source right now for EF scenarios for the game. The maps are his and, indeed, he made the OOB for the soviets too (and that's a lot of work!)

I crave EF content too, but, that said, I think you really should try, for example, the Race for Bastogne (as Axis) scenario and From the Meuse to the Rhine (as Allies). They are both really superb, especially the latter which gives you the whole of market garden from Nijmegan to Arnhem. The maps for both these scenarios (and all the official scenarios) are, you will find, considerably more detailed than Chris's maps, and this can make them very interesting. There are many more fantastic 'official' scenarios to help you get over the lack of official EF content, but the latter of the two mentioned (From the Meuse to the Rhine) has always stood out for me as a really fantastic gaming experience. On the other hand, if you want to play Axis with LAH, for instance, then there are a couple of big LAH scenarios in the Greek pack that are also excellent.

Last edited:

76mm

Ooops, I guess I didn't have any units sitting within the circle. I'd love to create a scenario but should probably learn how to play the game first!

I've started reading several versions of the manual, but every time I get into they come up with an update manual and I start over, so I need to go through the latest one.

john connor

Yeah. I didn't read the manual for about three years......asking in here is quicker...:)

Scenario making is great fun, especially the map making part. I did my own maps for Prokhorovka a while back and really enjoyed it. That was for CO1 though.