Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

NORDWIND

Kurt

Kameraden , soon I will release my first in a series of scenario's covering Operation Nordwind 1944/1945 . I have included a section of the map here .Screenshot 2015-09-06 12.35.28.png

Kurt

And here are a few random screen shots of play-testing here . Almost finished tweeking , was going to write up all the commander bio's for historic accuracy and detail , think I will just release it without for now .Screenshot 2015-09-06 18.28.50.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-09-06 15.02.08.png
    Screenshot 2015-09-06 15.02.08.png
    915.9 KB · Views: 20

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Kurt,

CONGRATS mate! :)

I noticed on your map you have some roads paralleling rivers. You need to ensure that these are 100m away and check the motorised move map to ensure there are no unintended diagonal crossings created by the road being adjacent. If there are you need to bend the road out a but further.

Kurt

Lol , I have finished play-testing and its playable as either side as long as you give "AI" extra supply & the favour option . If you want some tactical advice spudweasel then ; As Allies , Hold fast ! Weather the storm of fanatical , drug fueled attackers . Reserve your armour for your big counter attack in the last few days .As Axis , you will have less armour than your opponent and it will arrive piecemeal . Your ace card is your artillery , you have a 3:1 ratio advantage . Attack hard with your Waffen SS troops , break through the thin defense's . You will have to fight hard to capture and hold onto the Southern objectives . Do not commit your armour piecemeal , group it tight and keep your distance ( 600 meters+ ) from enemy tanks .
I will put the scenario , estab and map on *dropbox* this weekend . I am using Windows 10 .

john connor

I'm keen to try it out, Kurt, but I've got a bit caught up beta testing Westwall, and KOAD. I'll try to have a shot at it this week though.

Is there any side you think it would be best played from?

Peter

Last edited:

Kurt

Axis would be best I reckon , detach the Pak platoons from the Volks Grenadier battalions otherwise they will not ford the Blies river .Thanks Peter :happy:

john connor

Yep, thought so - in fact, I already started as Axis last night (and already detached the wheels). We're doing well so far. It's morning now and we're trashed. I will rest everyone in situ and await reinforcements to continue.

1.png

I must confess however that I did succumb to a few super bombardments. Incredible concentration of Axis arty available. Looks amazing if you concentrate it on a single target...

Kurt

Cool ! Yes I may have been a bit generous with my estimation of Axis artillery assets :oops: , although ammunition is limited so its not a game winner .When your JagdTigers arrive husband them well and watch out for those jabos .:nailbiting:

Last edited:

john connor

I'm going on a bit further today, Kurt.

I love the fort graphics, by the way - but are they placed accurately, historically (I mean, they're not just there for 'fun'?)

And the map is very beautiful. But I notice - if I can make a very humble cosmetic suggestion - that some of the villages/towns are done in a more schematic style than others. So in the pic below, for example, we see a schematic approach;

2.png

These villages 'nestle' amongst quite steep terrain, yet they seem to have (to me) 'unnatural' boundaries, either nicely round or straight lines, which don't hug the hillsides and follow the contours, which mark a rigid difference between hill and town. And were there really no forests or brush around and about? These villages just look a little unnatural to me compared to:

3.png

Achen is done in a more 'realistic' natural style (which I love).

To a certain extent map graphics are just taste, of course. You can look at the maps in COTA, for example, and to me they are very schematic (more like military planning maps), very different to, for example, the astounding naturalistic Dutch and German maps coming out in Westwall, or even all the stock maps in BFTB. The style of Achen, above, is much more like the superb BFTB style, but then the villages and comparative lack of detail in the first pic look more like the schematic COTA style. A mix. I would love you to tart up the schematic areas a bit, so that they were the same as the Achen type style. But it's just my aesthetic preference. Doesn't make much diff to gameplay.

I'll let you know how I get on today.

Peter

john connor

This is 11am, day 2. I'm playing (as recommended) with favour Allies, by the way.

4.png

It's falling neatly into a game of two halves. Down the left (western) half we have the 36 VGD, ultimate objective Achen. Down the right (eastern) half we have the much stronger 17 SS PGD, objective Rohrbach. The SS are doing well. They have fought through the night and you can see that rest is now imperative. But in circles 1 and 2 I have strong groupings of ready reinforcements, poised to press on. Over in the west the VGD are struggling. Scattered progress in circles 3 and 4. Need reinforcements for them, but not sure if any are coming. All very interesting and challenging, so far. Thanks, Kurt!

Kurt

Thanks for the feedback Peter . I agree that the villages should look more natural with less straight lines , I will put more time into future maps . The forts represent portions of the Maginot Line fortifications . the locations are approximations based on US military data . The Maginot forts played a relevant part in the planning of both sides during the Vosges campaign , both sides had to both defend and attack these structures at various stages during the fighting . Hitler allocated the " Hetzer " Flammpanzer companies to help storm the forts , he also released the JagdTigers partly for the same reason . Thanks again Peter , glad your enjoying the game .

Kurt

Here is an artists impression of an assault on a Maginot fort ,Screenshot 2015-10-02 12.03.04.png courtesy of Osprey Publishing

john connor

Nice pic. Those commander biogs you mentioned would be fantastic too. The immersion value is key.

Here we are, 24 hours into the operation. Long way to go, but this is tough! I wish I hadn't picked favour Allies. Maybe you're much more competent commander than I, Kurt!

5.png

All my units need serious rest now. I would rest all through day 2, quite happily, except there is no real cover to rest under. They're all terribly exposed.

I've had to send 2 Bns of SS reinforcements to help out 36VGD

Kurt

There is nothing wrong with your tactics Peter , your just experiencing what the Germans did back then . Intelligence was very poor concerning Allied positions and strengths , and the promised panzers turned up piecemeal . You are basically replicating what actually happened historically . Going to write up the commander bio's over the weekend .

john connor

Hey Kurt. Had a period where I couldn't get to it, sorry. Most of my game time has been taken up with play testing some KOAD scenarios. I'll get back to it when I can though, and certainly post the results. It's a great scenario, I think. Very well put together and balanced. Just short of time right now. Don't want to rush it. Can't enjoy it like that. Peter