Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Norwind

Kurt

Not just all of the Ems, the whole wor...... errr.. no .... just kidding ;)

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that.
GoodGuy , whilst on the subject of contested border regions , I believe you posses good knowledge on the Nordwind campaign ? I am building a series of scenarios starting with XIII SS Korp attack, I have found decent maps online but am hungry for details of OOB for German units if you can help . :hungry:

GoodGuy

GoodGuy , whilst on the subject of contested border regions , I believe you posses good knowledge on the Nordwind campaign ?

Not really, rather general knowledge, I'm afraid.

I am building a series of scenarios starting with XIII SS Korp attack, I have found decent maps online but am hungry for details of OOB for German units if you can help . :hungry:

While the US Army had less divisions/units in both sectors, their units had better troops and materials levels. While looking good on paper, regarding the amount of divisions, some of the German divisions involved were in fact regimental-sized units, and some were inexperienced (just recently formed, or with a high amount of "fresh" recruits, some of these units had quite a number of minors in their ranks).

1. Army deployed in 2 Assault groups (Sturmgruppe 1 + Sturmgruppe 2) :

1. Armee (Army) sector:

Assault group 1 (VIII. SS-Armeekorps) for the attack east of the Vosgue Mountains:
  • 19. Volksgrenadier-Division
  • 36. Volksgrenadier-Division
  • 17. SS-Panzergrenadier-Division.

Assault group 2 (LXXXX. Armeekorps + LXXXIX. Armeekorps) for the attack on the Vosgue Mountain crest:

LXXXX. Armeekorps:
LXXXIX. Armeekorps:
Additional units which either helped assault group 1 or 2 (or even both, to support where territorial gains had been achieved or still attempted), or which operated differently/independently:
Zaloga covers the complete Nordwind operation in one of his books. Should be a decent read.

Kurt

Not really, rather general knowledge, I'm afraid.

While the US Army had less divisions/units in both sectors, their units had better troops and materials levels. While looking good on paper, regarding the amount of divisions, some of the German divisions involved were in fact regimental-sized units, and some were inexperienced (just recently formed, or with a high amount of "fresh" recruits, some of these units had quite a number of minors in their ranks).

1. Army deployed in 2 Assault groups (Sturmgruppe 1 + Sturmgruppe 2) :

1. Armee (Army) sector:

Assault group 1 (VIII. SS-Armeekorps) for the attack east of the Vosgue Mountains:
  • 19. Volksgrenadier-Division
  • 36. Volksgrenadier-Division
  • 17. SS-Panzergrenadier-Division.

Assault group 2 (LXXXX. Armeekorps + LXXXIX. Armeekorps) for the attack on the Vosgue Mountain crest:

LXXXX. Armeekorps:
LXXXIX. Armeekorps:
Additional units which either helped assault group 1 or 2 (or even both, to support where territorial gains had been achieved or still attempted), or which operated differently/independently:
Zaloga covers the complete Nordwind operation in one of his books. Should be a decent read.
Thanks GoodGuy , much appreciated

GoodGuy

Thanks GoodGuy , much appreciated
You're welcome. Some French units were destroyed completely. They consisted of Resistance fighters and did not have a sufficient level of cohesion, according to what I've read. The French division entering Stuttgart and suburbs in the area, towards the end of the war, consisted of Resistance fighters and (partially) criminals released from French prisons after the liberation of France. Mass rapes in and around Stuttgart could be traced to its sub-units. These guys had it bottled up for yrs and were in for some revenge, I guess. Whatsoever, the destroyed French units performed badly, one reason might have been the fact that they were used to fight in small resistance groups, only.