Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

On board mortars and starshells

warrafael

Hi all.

First of all. I love L&L. It is my favourite tactical system.

I hace two questions regarding onboard mortars and starshells.

The first one is that mortars cannot usually fire at ranges below 2 but this rule appaently allows it. IMHO, this is not logical.

The second one is that, while leaders or héroes can place a starshell marker at ranges 3, ob mortars apparently cannot do it. This doesnt sound good to me either.

Am I missing something here ?

Greetings
Rafael

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

Keith T

Rafael,

I do not see any mortar WT counters in the Mix that have a minimum range less than two.

I'm not sure about your second question, but there are no off-board mortar, if there were it would be considered Off-Board Artillery.

Keith

Last edited:

warrafael

Hi Keith,
Thanks for your clarification regarding the second point.

Regarding the first one, that is precisely my issue. If there are no mortars with a ranges less than two, why the rules wording says "within two hexes" (which imply 0 or 1 ) ?

Furthermore, if leaders or héroes can place a starshell at three hexes without restrictions, why an onboard mortar would not be able to do that ?

Greetings
Rafael

Jeff Lewis

20.2, last paragraph, in Blue. It's w/in 2 hexes of the spotter's hex (the Leader or Scout), or in any hex in his LOS under a Fired marker.

The Mortar needs the spotter to call it in. The Leader or Scout, even if he was close to the Mortar, would choose to do this b/c it's automatic (no roll). Yes, the Leader can try to do it on his own, but it's more effective this way. The tactical play is to light up an area around an enemy hex already under a Fired marker, then you can fire on other adjacent enemy units to eliminate or suppress them so other friendlies can advance, etc.

There are off-board mortars in many OOBs, usually with 2 or 3 FP, but instead of acting like an onboard single mortar, they fire a full barrage, as they represent a full weapons platoon that can present that kind of sustained spread of fire (7 hexes).

warrafael

Ok. Thank you very much. Now, I see it