Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Opportunity Fire question

Herb

The problem with trying to learn a game by playing solo is that I have nobody to ask rules questions of, while trying to learn. So, this is probably a very basic rule that everyone knows and I will fee stupid asking it, but here goes . can the SAME squad opportunity fire TWICE at a unit if the moving unit expends 2 MP in a hex?
and second question, if German squad A opportunity fires and is marked with a fired marker, am i correct in assuming that when it gets to be the German impulse that squad A cannot fire again, because it fired as opp fire?

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
No to your first question and Yes to your second. The general principle is that a unit can fire only once per turn, be it opportunity fire or in its own impulse. In fact, as soon asit fire, it is marked with a Fired marker.

Qwirz

The only exception is that IF that squad is equipped with an OFT weapon, it actually fires twice: One shot on the DFT and one on the OFT (also on different targets)

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Well, technically, it fires only once but makes two separate die rolls. Those two die rolls are considered together as one attack for the purpose of the number of attacks made against the moving unit that is opportunity fired on.

As for the OFT weapon targeting a different unit that the one targeted by the unit firing it, this is possible (and not mandatory) only on a regular attack (in your impulse). On Opportunity fire, all die rolls should target the moving unit.

Last edited:

Tony Bravo

The only exception is that IF that squad is equipped with an OFT weapon, it actually fires twice: One shot on the DFT and one on the OFT (also on different targets)

If I may add onto this, if an American squad expends 1MP to enter a hex, can a German squad with a MG42 SW take only one OF at the American using its own IFP or must the German squad use both his IFP along with his support weapon? I'm trying to figure out if that same German squad can fire their SW at a different target in the same turn,

gashlycrumb

If I may add onto this, if an American squad expends 1MP to enter a hex, can a German squad with a MG42 SW take only one OF at the American using its own IFP or must the German squad use both his IFP along with his support weapon? I'm trying to figure out if that same German squad can fire their SW at a different target in the same turn,

Hi Tony, I'm a newb still learning the rules, so maybe one of the other guys can confirm, but here's what the 4.1 rulebook says.

1) Can a German squad with a MG42 SW take only one OF at the American using its own IFP or must the German squad use both his IFP along with his support weapon?
Because the US MMC spent 1MP, only one Op Fire attack can be made. But the GE MMC and SW can choose to Op Fire fire with only one of the following this turn:
a) only the MMC's IFP
b) only the SW
c) both IFP and SW​
Once the Op Fire combat is resolved, the German MMC and it's SW is marked as Fired and neither can fire again this turn

2) if that same German squad can fire their SW at a different target in the same turn
No, not in the same turn. See [4.0] Operations Phase page 12, which states that "Support weapons cannot activate separately from the unit that possess them." Also the example right after, on page 12, further clarifies.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
gashlycrumb is right and thus, there is no reason why you would not use the SW along with the Squad IFP if range allow it