Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Ordeal at Overloon part 2 Planning Aid Playing Allies *Contains Spoilers for Axis Players*

Daz

I have started the planning for part 2 of Ordeal at Overloon.

The first stage of my planning is to look at the objectives.
What I need to secure and when.

I find it a lot easier to have a graphical representation of the objectives and have tired out a few methods in the past to this end.
This is my latest attempt at coming up with a solution.

The scenario has some complicated Objective requirements, so I have done a map with a graphical representation of the objectives on it.
If there is any interest I will look into doing a pdf with the map split into A4 paper sized slices, so it can be printed out and taped together.
Overloon part 2 objectives to AI-01-01.jpg

Last edited:

Daz

One of the things I looked for in the Ordeal at Overloon part 1 was a bridging unit to open up the left flank of the enemy positions a Km west of IJsselsteijn.
In this scenario I see 2 Bridge Tp RE displayed prominently in the rear areas of the Allied lines :)

There is another arriving in the early morning of day 5 in the area of that bridge but that's a little late in the scenario.
If I manage to capture an intact bridge across the Afleidingskanaal then I will be sending 2 Bridge Tp RE down that way I think.

Takoda

Looking forward to following this thread as I have learnt a lot of valuable tips from reading your posts Daz. Your planning aids are helpful and enjoyable to read.

DerGrenadier

Also looking forward. But I have a question. The exit to Venlo objective graphic says the Objective is open from Day 4 12:00 til the end. But if I read your grapic right it is shown as open from day 5 on. Am I missing something?

Daz

I made an error on that one, thanks for pointing it out DerGrenadier.
I have corrected it now.
Its good to know you understand it, when I get it right that is :shame:

Daz

This has taken me ages, sorry.
I came across a rare bug in Illustrator and it had me stumped for a few days!
Id OaO2 p2.jpg

Last edited:

kipanderson

Daz,

as usual stunning stuff..

"If there is any interest I will look into doing a pdf with the map split into A4 paper sized slices, so it can be printed out and taped together."

Yes.. Stuff I value.. always better printed out..

All the best,
Kip.

Daz

Thanks guys :happy:
I'll look into it Kip to see what's involved.
I have updated page 3 but not quite finished with it yet.

Daz

I have been looking into dividing up the map in order to print out the big images, but it turns out there is an even better option and far less work for me ;)

Just follow the following tutorial:
Poster Print Tutorial.jpg

Daz

Thanks Dave :)

I inserted a cover page at page 1 so all the others shuffled up Tokoda.
Id OaO2 cover 1.1.jpg

DerGrenadier

I think the range grid makes the whole map a little bit too overcrowded, at least for me. And for my taste the colours of the unit boundaries are too "weak" e.g. I can hardly see the red of the German frontline. Otherwise great stuff as always.

Daz

Thanks for your feedback mate, its very much appreciated :)
I'm going to have a rethink on this page and zoom out to do an operational plan on a smaller map, then zoom back in for the next page to do a tactical plan around Overloon.

The problem with the big map is, the drop shadows that make the lines stand out are reducing the speed of my computer to a crawl.
I think I inadvertently turned down the opacity of all the overlay graphics as well which didn't help.
I completely agree about the gird, I'm going to lose it and do a small, scale line instead.

Daz

I have started on a new page 6.
Some of these pages take ages to do, which is why I post them as 'work in progress', so you at least know I am still working on this project, otherwise it might be days, or even weeks before I can post anything at all.

If you think I should complete the pages before I post them let me know your opinion.
Another reason for posting them as I go, unfinished, is for the constructive feedback like I just got from Dergrenadier.
Its a bit disjointed in this forum thread but the end result is hopefully, another 30 or so page pdf.
I have not forgotten about the St Vith one, I hope to go back to that when I get bored with this one.
You have to blame Dave for letting me open my Christmas present early and Peter for wanting feedback on this scenario for pulling me off the St Vith one ;)

Oh, and did I mention I find defending boring :joyful:

Work in Progress:
Id OaO2 p6.jpg

Last edited: