Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Peiper's Race To The Meuse - Work In progress Beta

Mehring

Hi, I've been playing the above scenario as Axis and note the following problems-
lll Bat PzG HQ launched a combined arms attack to secure primed Habiémont bridge from the south, west of the river. They were opposed only by an M10 TD unit. Infantry and engineers stood back from the bridge while armour advanced. Armour then hid in a wood while a single mech infantry Coy attacked the TD unit. Eventually a Pzg coy attempted to capture the bridge and un-prime it while the engineers waited. Attached mortars and leIG unit did not fire on the TD at any time. When two armour coys manually destroyed the TD, the engineers then approached the bridge.

It seems that units do not choose tasks appropriate to their roles and abilities.

Moving units tend to remain in road travelling formation much longer when they encounter an enemy unit.

A Grille unit encountered an enemy TD unit while in transit and I aborted and replaced its move order, with minimum aggro, rof and losses, retreating away from the enemy. It didn't move, even retreating from fire which virtually destroyed it. When I changed setting to no sleep, it took a rout through the attacking unit in a massive loop.

Knittel's battalion came under fire from an enemy infantry unit during night. Attached mortars did not fire at the target until I used them manually. They then fired off target in spite of muzzle flashes that would be spotted, and fire was not corrected.

Two KG received bunkerd down due to lack of fuel when all units had at least 900 fuel.

Not specific to this beta, but not non-credible feature of the game is the ability of a unit reduced to a couple of men to remain on map with the ability to halt entire regiments and presumably interdict supplies if not mopped up. Neither do moving units checked to attack deploy their constituent companies to mop up. They just sit in travel formation for hours waiting for a lead unit to reduce the obstacle to the point of surrender.

Last edited:

john connor

Thanks. Not sure where to start. Except to say that for each point you make a picture and a recording is really essential if you want to give the devs a chance to (a) seriously consider your points, (b) do something about it. They are usually keen to do both.

The recordings are stored in the install folder/recordings and there is only ever one, which is overwritten each time you start the game unless you come out of the game and re-name it each time. (just in case you were unaware)

Do you have saves from which you could take pics to illustrate these points, so we can work out what's going on, and a recording that covers them all, with timings you could deduce from saves?

If not then maybe remember that next time you see something that needs work you should (a) take a pic and save it, (b) come out of the game and rename the recording (give it the same name as the pic, perhaps?)

The only way for the devs to really be able to properly analyse anything like this is by them stepping through the code, using the recording, to see exactly what went on.

Sometimes, in the past, when I raised issues like this, I was very sure that I was correct and that I had found a problem, only to find (many times) that I was very wrong, and had missed something which explained the behaviour. Sometimes (many times) I was right - there was a problem. Impossible to work out which it is, really, without the recording and preferably a picture.

I'm sure your points are very much appreciated, though, and your feedback is great - but pictures and recordings would give your feedback more weight, I'm sure. Pictures and recordings.

Last edited:

Mehring

Hi, I wanted to take some screenies but can't access the tool while playing. I have saved a recording which is attached. It runs from start to D2 02:02
I take your point about thinking there is a game error when it's possibly bad play or not understanding the system. The Habiémont bridge, attack, which is all during night, was delayed by my re-attaching a distant support unit. I detached it again when I realised it was slowing things down. That doesn't explain to me the points i raised.

An example of a unit remaining in travel mode when put in defend mode is 3 batty 84 FlaK at Trois Ponts during my initial attack.

The Grille incident is near Henri-Moulin during late afternoon- night.

Knittel's situation lasted till the end of the recording. Additionally, an engineer unit from the KG embarked upon a wide flanking detour via Arbrefontaine which I thought was quite clever, but then returned to the KG SE of Dairomont. Playing on from my last edit Knittel's attached mortars did eventually fire on a unit SE of Dairomont but still off target while the same KG's front line units were engaged in a fire fight with it.

The no fuel bunker down happened to 501 sPZ Abt near recording end and earlier IIRC to lll Bn 2.PzG Regt KG at Habiémont bridge.

I've seen other players comment on the "fight to the last man" syndrome. It happens all the time.

Hope that's a help, let me know if you need anything else.

Mehring

right, just tried again. I've tried attaching .rar and .cor and am told they are not allowable file extensions.

Mehring

Playing onwards, morning of D2 I have another instance, this time a tank coy that will not retreat or withdraw. Loads of fuel, it plans routes and cancels them over and over. Let me know how to upload recordings.

There's also an engineer coy with 800+fuel that won't move because it's refueling.

john connor

What version are you playing with? Are you using the latest steam beta?

For recordings, zip them up using 7-zip (freeware). Use the 7-zrip right-click (on file to be zipped) drop down option 'Add to ...file name.zip'. A zip will be produced that LnL accepts.

A 'save' (also zipped up) from a little before the behaviour in question, with a pic posted in here indicating the issue would also be good - then even a non-dev like me could run it, look at your orders and dispositions and try to work out what's up.

Literally can't do anything with just your verbal reports of what is going on. Sorry.

Last edited:

Mehring

Here are the files. I'm using the "work in progress" beta, I am unable to take screenies in game.

I have given approximate map locations and times of the numerous issues found.

You will also find at the end of the D2 recording lll Bat HQ and a subordinate coy on the southern Werbomont exit unable to follow the rest of the KG off map. Another subordinate coy is gaining fatigue while in a state of permanent retreat recovery south of Habiémont bridge.
Good luck and I look forward as much to finding out what I'm doing wrong as fixing glitches.

Attachments

• game-recording.zip
    603.9 KB · Views: 1
  • game-recordingD2.zip
    570.4 KB · Views: 1

john connor

Just press your 'print screen' button to take screen grabs. Normally. Then paste into 'Paint' or some such standard program.

john connor

To a clipboard. Only one at a time. Then you open paint, click on the blank new field and Cntrl-V. The image will be pasted there. Then save it where you want through paint.

What delay and reinforcement settings are you using in this game recording?

Both recordings seem to start at day 2 02.02? You seem to have posted the same recording twice? It starts at Day 2 02.02. Where should I fast fwd to first, and what should I focus on? When I start everyone seems to be asleep. What time should I go to and what should I look for? For instance, to get started - what time should I go to, and where, to find a group of a few men holding everything up?

Last edited:

Mehring

I'm using maximum orders delay. You will find approximate times, units affected and locations in the above posts. cheers.

john connor

Ok. Forget all that. The recordings crash on me and go out of sync. I'll refer that to the devs. But it only happens with your recordings, so not sure what's going on. I suspect we're on different builds.

Could you verify the integrity of your steam build please and post whether anything needed updating etc? Thanks.

Last edited: