Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Postage to the UK

Tom Murrell

Hi,
Im reluctant to order directly from the USA because of dreaded import duties. Ive heard people can get stung pretty badly but does anybody have any actual experience.? Exactly how much is likely to be added ontop.
Given the sale on at the moment and the bonus of X maps on preorders. It might be worth paying the import duties.
Or is there some way i can see upfront what this cost will be. GMT and Amazon now have a prepaid VAT feature.
I have never passed through the LNL checkout to the end so i dont know if you offer the same.

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
Hi Tom,

It can be bad and what we found is that it really depends on what postal person/place that is handling it. Many customers have had no problem but other its been bad. The good news is we are working on a service to mail directly from the UK into Europe, and that would mean it will be a lot cheaper and quicker. We will not have this setup before first quarter 2017. The good news if you are interested` in the pre-order items there is no charge to you at all now. Once the items are available, you are sent an email, and at that point, you select your payment and shipping method.

David

Alfy

This is good to know: I just saw Heroes of Normandy is on preorder again, and I wanted to add some currently available items to the preorder. It came up to $60 for shipping to France, which is really steep, but then there is no slow option available.

I just hope the Europe-friendly option will be up before the time comes to pay for the the preorders.

jules22

Hi Tom,

I've ordered numerous things from the US over the years and friends of mine as well to the UK and these are the sum of my experiences.

From what I know the duty is based on the value and weight of the item but mostly on the value which seems logical.

BUT the reality though is sometimes different, as I've found some small packages regardless of the cost can be delivered without any import duties to pay.whereas bulkier items can be pulled up even though they might be about the same cost and be tagged for import duties. If the order was delivered by a courier you'll get an invoice through the post or if from the Royal Mail a postal note stating it needs to be collected from the nearest depot and how much to pay.

Not so long ago I had a pretty bad experience making a big order of games from the US that I just couldn't here. The cost of the games was cheap compared to here but the huge postal cost with insurance romped the price up to around the same price if not more than the games that I was buying. and after they arrived, about two weeks after this I got an invoice through the post from the courier for another payment and so all in all it was a very costly experience and not recommended.

Overall it does eeem a lottery at times and if you do go ahead with purchases over a certain price from the US be prepared for the worst case scenario, which could well be with international postal cost and expected import duties to be at least the same price of the products that you are buying and by calculating that I'd say you are covering yourself for the worst case scenario.

Also no idea if Brexit will help change the situation :)

jules22

I'm also extremely interested in this Euro-Friendly option delivery and if it can curb some of the expected postal and import cost then I'd certainly be interested in doing pre-orders as well.

In regards to pre-orders is the buyer obliged to actually go ahead with the order, if at the time of payment the buyer discovers that the combined delivery cost will be much more than expected?

Tom Murrell

I'm also extremely interested in this Euro-Friendly option delivery and if it can curb some of the expected postal and import cost then I'd certainly be interested in doing pre-orders as well.

In regards to pre-orders is the buyer obliged to actually go ahead with the order, if at the time of payment the buyer discovers that the combined delivery cost will be much more than expected?

You are not charged at the time of the preorder only if you proceed with shipping once it becomes available will you need to enter payment details.