Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Potential New Player, Long Time Gamer

dandennison84

Hi, I'm a long-time gamer that has just found this game. I thought I'd post my initial thoughts and feedback as a new player and potential buyer. To give some insight into my kind of game, my favorites that I play regularly are WITP-AE, TOAW, supreme ruler series, paradox EU engine kinds of games (HOI, EU, etc), and steel panthers. The things I look for in a game are a good AI and less micro management. In some ways, this is the perfect kind of game for me. I love parts of the AI especially those that free me from micromanagement. So I think you've nailed the concept.

I'm ok with the purchasing model. There is enough content in the free download for me to make an informed decision. I'm ok with the pricing. Lets face it, for those of us in the Matrix world and Paradox world and similar places, we are willing to pay more for games with depth. It looks like you might have a fairly sustainable model, especially if you keep offering bundled deals periodically (hint: holidays). I think you might have a very tough time getting the word out though. It isn't exactly easy to find this game or this site. Your main panther games page points to matrix and says the game is discontinued. Not a good marketing strategy -)

The documentation is decent. I could download the old manual and figure things out. The 7-part youtube tutorial was insanely great. I really learned a lot just watching that and the game concepts video. I'd try to get your dedicated players to do some youtube videos. There doesn't really seem to be that many other ones out there (a few, but not many).

My biggest problem with the game at this point is the UI. I've read the reasons for it, the plans for it coming up, etc. However, the bottom line for me is it is a massive click-fest to find out all the information I need or want. I have to open half a dozen dialogs to find things out. I have to open order dialogs, task dialogs, OB dialogs, unit dialogs. I think that is a very big step back from what is shown in the manual and the videos. I'm not usually spending most of my time comparing units, I'm spending it managing my operation. For that, I want more screen real estate for the map and what is going on. In the videos, message show up right on the screen, in my game, I have to have this massive message dialog open so I miss important messages.

I would seriously consider creating some kind of reporting screens like most other games have to do comparison and in-game research of items. I'd also consider some kind of in-game help/tooltip when you hover over items. I had to look in the old manual to figure out what command load and capacity were, for example.

At this point, I'm reading AARs, watching youtube, playing a bit here and there, but I'm not going to purchase quite yet until I see the game settle a bit with respect to the UI. How long does the $50 bundle last? By the way, it actually took me a whole day to even figure out how to download the free part and consider purchasing it.

You seem to be making it very hard for me to give you money -)

Anyway, I love what you are doing here and I think the game concept is great, good luck!

ultradave

Just downloaded the game engine an bought the bundle. I've really enjoyed Command Ops Bulge and Arnhem modules. The update looks really good and you can't beat the price for the truckload of scenarios in the bundle. Nice to see this fine game continuing on.

In a former life :) I was a bde fire support officer working in the bde ops center, so the level and interaction of this is like being back in my old job. And I'm old enough that a lot of the technology - especially in a airborne unit, hadn't changed much.

Keep up the good work.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Just downloaded the game engine an bought the bundle. I've really enjoyed Command Ops Bulge and Arnhem modules. The update looks really good and you can't beat the price for the truckload of scenarios in the bundle. Nice to see this fine game continuing on.

In a former life :) I was a bde fire support officer working in the bde ops center, so the level and interaction of this is like being back in my old job. And I'm old enough that a lot of the technology - especially in a airborne unit, hadn't changed much.

Keep up the good work.
Welcome ultradave. Love your nic. :)