Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Preference: Vassal or TTS

Cheeks

As I’m just starting my journey into Lock n’ Lock board gaming, I’m interested in the veteran choices of competitive play platforms. Do you prefer the Vassal or TTS experience - and most importantly, why?

I’ll probably post this question on the Discord channel too.

Looking forward to the replies.

Cheeks

Barthheart

Staff member
Going to be hard to compare for a bit. The TTS modules just came out. I haven’t even had a chance to try them yet. I’ve been using, and help build, the VASSAL modules for years, so am most familiar with them.
I am looking forward to trying out the TTS modules though.

seagles

TTS is great for eye-candy games, but I've always found it cludgy for anything with many pieces and constant manipulation of said pieces (i.e., most wargames). VASSAL has wargames fully in its corner. TTS is wonderful for games with minis. I'm glad we have both platforms to use.

Have to agree with @seagles on what games are for TTS or VASSAL. TTS is great for miniature wargaming, RPG games or where the board is changing during game play. Space Infantry: Resurgence would be one game suitable for TTS. The LnL Tactical, NaW & WaW series would be better served in VASSAL.

Snowbird

I will be the dissenting opinion :). I prefer TTS due to the flexibility the platform offers. One of the drawbacks with TTS in the past was the inability to easily view the contents of a stack of counters. The counter exploder functionality has now been added that allows the user to assign a hot key to expand the stack and easily view the contents. You can rearrange the counters or move counters from the exploded stack. It also repacks all the counters into its original hex when viewing is complete. TTS also allows you to easily bring in your own custom assets into any module. TTS also feels like I am sitting at the table and looking over the map with quick zoom in/out and movement around the map. Don't get me wrong, I also enjoy Vassal (and VASL) and just purchased a second monitor, so my one screen does not get so cluttered with open windows. Give TTS a chance and you will see the power and flexibility it offers. I also forgot to mention the scripting capabilities

As I’m just starting my journey into Lock n’ Lock board gaming, I’m interested in the veteran choices of competitive play platforms. Do you prefer the Vassal or TTS experience - and most importantly, why?

I’ll probably post this question on the Discord channel too.

Looking forward to the replies.

Cheeks