Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Proposed New Rule: Fast Roping and Rappelling for Special Forces Units

Proudgeek159

I'm working on a scenario that involves special forces insertion into a hot LZ. Since fast roping was first used in the Falklands, it stands to reason that by 1985 most NATO special forces (and airborne / air assault units) would be at least familiar with the idea. (Heck, my California National Guard unit practiced fast roping in 1992!)Here's my proposed draft:

"Units with a yellow Special Ability triangle, and elite units such as Airborne, parachute, Special Forces, Spetznaz, or Commando Infantry units may be designated by Module or Scenario rules as capable of exiting transport helicopters via Fast Rope or Rappelling insertion.

A Passenger using Fast Rope insertion may unload from a Helicopter unit that is using NOE movement into any terrain that is not prohibited to the unloading Passenger. A Passenger using Rappelling insertion may unload from a hovering Helicopter into any terrain that is not prohibited to the unloading Passenger. In either case the Passenger may unload into the same hex occupied by the Helicopter unit or a hex adjacent to the Helicopter unit. Stacking limits in the target hex immediately apply to the unloading Passenger unit.

If the exit hex is blocking or Rough terrain, each unloading Passenger unit must roll 2d6 against the unit's Morale/Training value. If the result is <= to the unit's Morale/Training value, the attempt is successful. If the result is > the unit's Morale/Training value, the unloading Passenger is immediately Disrupted. Passengers that are already Disrupted may not attempt to Fast Rope or Rappel.

Units that use Fast Rope or Rappelling to exit a helicopter are subject to the same Opportunity Fire attempts as unloading Passengers from Landed Helictopters."

Please let me know what you think.

Craig

Keith Tracton

Staff member
Hi Craig, may I recommend:
  1. Limit this to NOE helicopters (Hovering mode is actually a higher average altitude.)
  2. Limit the landing zone to the same hex as the helicopter
  3. I very much like the Disruption attempt roll if the terrain in the hex into which the passenger unloads is Blocking or Rough.
  4. Some wording? "A passenger unloading this way which is subjected to OpFire is treated as already on the ground, just as if unloaded from a Landed Helicopter, for purposes of resolving the OpFire attempt."
Looking forward to your scenario! :)

Proudgeek159

Thanks for the feedback, Keith. I'll admit that I'm hoping for more NATO transport helicopters in Blood and Fury. I would KILL for some CH-47 counters right now.

Keith Tracton

Staff member
Thanks for the feedback, Keith. I'll admit that I'm hoping for more NATO transport helicopters in Blood and Fury. I would KILL for some CH-47 counters right now.

LOL! I have to be the first to admit that our counter pool has a much tighter cap in blood and fury than in storming the gap and it's expansions. but if you had your druthers what would you carry with the chinooks? ;) Just for my known edification understand. I mean I'd start hauling 105 mm pack howitzers myself...lol

Proudgeek159

I was actually in an artillery battery with guys who had done artillery raids with M102s in Desert Storm. I would love to be able to do that. Or fly in Marines with a squadron of CH-53s. But I guess that's a couple of expansions down the line, huh?

(Of course, just wait until you see what I do with the Aist-class LCAC when it shows up!)

Last edited: