Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Question on the Colleville scenario

Jack Ruetty

Feel like something is not right with Melee in this scenario. I am always seeing an extra column shift beyond just the normal column shifts for leadership and heroes. In fact, I had one melee where there were no leaders and no heroes involved and there was still a column shift. Is there something built into this scenario providing an extra column shift?

Jack

Last edited:

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
If you look in the Module rules, you will notice that the (glider) infantry troops have a special ability:

...in Melee, glider Squads (but not Halfsquads) receive a one-column shift to the right when attacking and to the left when defending. This is per attack, not per Squad; and if the attack includes one Squad and one Half-squad, they still gain this column-shift.

If glider-rifle Squads are participating in Melee with other types of Squads—American paratroopers, etc.—the American player only receives the Melee bonus if the glider- rifle Squads constitute the majority of the friendly Melee units.

It is an easily forgotten rule :)

Jack Ruetty

Thanks. How can you tell they are glider troops? Will they have the same badges as the paratroopers from the 101 and 82 do?

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Yes, they will have the same badge because they belong to the same units. I can tell from the scenario briefing, the unit in-game description and, most decisively, from the HON module specific rules, that indicate on pages 5-6 that paratroopers are 2-5-4(AM) while the glider troops are 1-6-4

Jack Ruetty

They are 1-6-4 units but don't have the patches for the 82 or 101. Just a symbol for American units. Look like might be regular army units not paratroopers.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Hum...according to the LNLT Compendium 1, from where this scenario comes from, we can gather the following informations:

1) It is a Heroes of Normandy scenario
2) It does say to use the 1-6-4 from the 101th and the 82nd
3) They are supposed to represent the 116th infantry regiment
4) There is no SSR saying you should not use the special ability of the glider troops because they are representing regular infantry troops

So my guess is that Tom simply removed the unit badge to increase the suspension of disbelief :)

Jack Ruetty

So my guess is that Tom simply removed the unit badge to increase the suspension of disbelief
:)

The OOB says every American unit from the 116th. I'm glad you reminded me about glider troops. Completely forgot. I'll bet your right and they are suppose to be glider troops.

Tom Proudfoot

Digital Designer
I swapped in the regular U.S. Army troops from Noville because those are the ones that are "supposed" to be there (I suspect those counters didn't exist when the Colleville scenario was made), but I may have forgotten to disable the glider bonus. I'll look at it.

Barthheart

Staff member
I think the glider bonus should be disabled for this scenario as the US troops are not supposed to be glider troops but regular infantry coming in from the beachhead. The original scenario does not say to drop the bonus but I think it’s implied by the description of the troops.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
The original scenario does not say to drop the bonus but I think it’s implied by the description of the troops.

Unless the scenario balance was depending on this...I'm making myself a mental note to play this one solo a couple of times and see how it goes, before adding this precision, which makes perfect sense, in the Clarifications & Corrections (C&C) document

Tom Proudfoot

Digital Designer
Well, I apparently specifically added it to them for some reason which I can no longer remember (it was around February 2019, I noted down that I did it, but not why).

If you read that 'glider bonus' section in Normandy rules, 13.1.1, it is said to represent the random BARs floating around the squads. Maybe I thought normal infantry should have it as well.... I'll leave the final ruling up to Stéphane. :p

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
The American infantry MMCs units in Noville (including the 28th Infantry division stragglers) have exactly the same benefit in melee than the Glider-infantry units in Neroes of Normandy.

Considering this and the fact that the scenario text instruct you to use glider troops, I'm inclined to think the American infantry MMCs units from the 116th should have the same benefits as the ones in Noville and the Glider troops (all on the Western Front). This is not a glider-specific thing per see.

It should be noted that the Glider-infantry units share a common trait with all other WW2 US infantry units in the game; additional MMcs don't halve their IFP when part of a multi-units firing stack. So they are not that different from other WW2 US infantry units, and identical to the other US infantry units operating on the Western front

Thommygunner

I have been playing this one lately and I noticed the same shift, prompting me to think that I was on easy mode or something line that, reminiscent of HOS. Thanks for the clarification. Could something be put in the SSR about the Americans being considered Glider-Rifle Infantry and having the whichever bonuses that they were given?

Thanks!