Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Questions about Line of Sight (through continuous building)

Chao Ma

Greetings everyone here , thanks for your attention. I'm a newbie just jumping into the lnl-tactics , learning and playing the starter kit for a few days. But I came across some questions that the rulebook doesn't make it clear (trust me , I read through the rulebook several times) , so could you help me :) Thanks to you all.

Questions are concentrating on the line of sight.

1. Does the continuous building extending for two hexes block the los ?

(1)The continuous building is level-1 (the total height , on level-0), if one unit is on the upper level of the build in one hex, can the los trace through the build to the target ?

1_o23b87.png

According to the rule ,the builds in two hex share the same height, if they are seperate buliding , los is 【not】 blocked . But how about the continuous building?

(2)Can the los trace through the continuous building like this ? whatever first floor or second floor
2_bu10ug.png

(3)If a unit moves along the continuous building , is it exposed to the opportunity fire ?

If it is , can I imagine it moving along the wall (outside the building), or being seen and shot through the windows (inside the building) ?

2. Although permitted by the rule ,but I'm still curious about how the los tracing through the obstacle sharing the same level like the example below

3_ykcljf.png

In reality , I don't think if I stood on the second floor , I can see the distance place (J1) over another building (J3 , same height) in front of me 50 meters away ... So what are the considerations about this ?

Last edited:

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Unfortunately, none of your images show up at my end so I can't see the situations you are asking questions about

Steven Smith

Interesting. Pic 1, no Line of sight surely, they might be level 1 but are still inside the building. If they were standing on the roof, therefore level 2, the would have LOS to the target hex.

Pic 2. The silhouette that the line clips in I2 blocks LOS. Therefore no Op fire.

However, isn’t it only 3x+ Hex buildings that have upper stories unless over ruled by SSR ?

Last edited:

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
1) First picture: No LOS
2) Second picture: No LOS
3) Yes, a unit moving inside a building is subject to opp fire (through the windows, the doorway, etc.), assuming that the attacker has LOS of course

2. Not sure I understand your question. You want someone to justify why the rules allow the situation described? The LOS from J4 ot J1 is not traced through J3 but over it. Thus, the building in J3 does not block LOS from J4 to j1 but LOS to J2 is blocked because the building, located 1 hex away from the firer, project a blocking shadow of 1 hex into J2. If the building was in J2, two hexes away from the firer, it would project a blocking shadow in J1 and J0

Chao Ma

Interesting. Pic 1, no Line of sight surely, they might be level 1 but are still inside the building. If they were standing on the roof, therefore level 2, the would have LOS to the target hex.

Pic 2. The silhouette that the line clips in I2 blocks LOS. Therefore no Op fire.

However, isn’t it only 3x+ Hex buildings that have upper stories unless over ruled by SSR ?
Hi Steven , thanks for your reply , I agree with you , as common sense we can't see through the body of a building , unless stand on the roof thus at level-2 (but rule says level-2 just apply to the stone building , in my case it's a wooden building ) .
Now that I make clear the questions , I will continue to enjoy these battles in starter kit , plus the big packs bought and on the way.:)

Chao Ma

1) First picture: No LOS
2) Second picture: No LOS
3) Yes, a unit moving inside a building is subject to opp fire (through the windows, the doorway, etc.), assuming that the attacker has LOS of course

2. Not sure I understand your question. You want someone to justify why the rules allow the situation described? The LOS from J4 ot J1 is not traced through J3 but over it. Thus, the building in J3 does not block LOS from J4 to j1 but LOS to J2 is blocked because the building, located 1 hex away from the firer, project a blocking shadow of 1 hex into J2. If the building was in J2, two hexes away from the firer, it would project a blocking shadow in J1 and J0
Hi Tanguay , benefited from you and Steven , I have made the situations clear . So happy I can continue playing the game without confusion. Many thanks !

As for the 2 , the rule says , unit on the second floor (level-1) of a wooden building can watch over another building which shares the same height . I am curious how I can do this if I'm not stand on the roof ( thus on level-2 watching over level-1 ) ? (I drew a ugly picture to explain the question:vomit:

example_r3jxy0.png

Last edited:

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
In the example presented in the rules (in the last picture of your first post), the second building (in J3) is only 1 level-high.

All building with 3+ hexes are two-level high. The fact that they are wooden or stone is irrelevant (although most 3+ hexes building are stone, you will find plenty of one or two hexes stone buildings that don't have an upper level)

Chao Ma

In the example presented in the rules (in the last picture of your first post), the second building (in J3) is only 1 level-high.

All building with 3+ hexes are two-level high. The fact that they are wooden or stone is irrelevant (although most 3+ hexes building are stone, you will find plenty of one or two hexes stone buildings that don't have an upper level)
Hi Tanguay, sorry for reply late , a few busy days have passed when I remember to check the thread . think maybe I should refer to the terrain chart more . So even if a unit stand on the upper level of a one hex wooden building( total height is level-1 ) , it can not trace los through a adjacant wooden building exactly the same type ,am I right ?

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
There is no such thing as an upper level in a one hex building *(wooden or not), except by special scenario rules (SSR). Suppose this is the case; the building would have a total height of 2 but the unit would be standing at a total height of 1, meaning it could not trace LOS through another adjacent building of the same heigth (2 being higher than 1).

Chao Ma

There is no such thing as an upper level in a one hex building *(wooden or not), except by special scenario rules (SSR). Suppose this is the case; the building would have a total height of 2 but the unit would be standing at a total height of 1, meaning it could not trace LOS through another adjacent building of the same heigth (2 being higher than 1).
I got it ,maybe I should re-read the LOS segment in the rulebook , it looks like I misunderstood something . Thanks tanguay ! ;)