Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

questions by the rules «Heart of Darkness»

JoMikel

Hello dear developers. English is not my mother language, so when I read the rules of the game «Heart of Darkness». I had a number of questions. Perhaps the rules are written clearly, but I would like to get a clearer wording.
1) Is telekinesis an active skill? (page 5)
2) Does telekinesis require CO/2IC ERR verification? (page 5)
3) How meny hex far units can move by telekinesis? (page 5)
4) What does the red triangle under the AP firepower characteristic of the Ares unit and Volta-MAG mean?
5) Ignores whether the effect of terrain electric weapon? If it is not, what is its purpose? If it has less power than a machine gun?
6) Do huge units get bonuses from wreck, craters, and sandbags?
7) Engineering units can remove from the map any one Mines marker in their hex. Does this mean that in this game only engineers can remove mines? Should the engineer take damage when entering the hex with mines for remove mines?
8) In scenario number 10, the background should be in scenario number 9. Is that true?

Sorry for my English.

sparverius

It's been a while since the questions have been asked, but maybe the answers are useful to others as well. Regard that the answers are based on the first edition. I don't have the 2nd edition and I don't know if there are any significant rule changes.

No.

See 1: As it isn't an actice skill it doesn't require a skill check.

Unlimited. As long as the hexes are in LOS. However I would apply a house rule here, to limit the range. Maybe roll 2d6 before any telekinesis attempt. The number rolled is the range:
Say a unit in LOS is 7 hexes away, you would need to roll a 7 or more to grab the unit.

4) What does the red triangle under the AP firepower characteristic of the Ares unit and Volta-MAG mean?
I think you are referring to the 2nd edition. I don't have the 2nd edition. But I think it's a reminder that damage dealt is of an electric source, able to reduce and/or destroy the Undead as well as regular targets.

5) Ignores whether the effect of terrain electric weapon? If it is not, what is its purpose? If it has less power than a machine gun?
Electric weapons are subjected to Weather effects (see Weather, Acid Rain e.g.). They are able to reduce and/or destroy the Undead!!!

No. Huge units are considered L1 obstacles that can block LOS and that can only take cover in, or behind other L1 Terrain (e.g. Woods, Urban, Smoke).

7) Engineering units can remove from the map any one Mines marker in their hex. Does this mean that in this game only engineers can remove mines? Should the engineer take damage when entering the hex with mines for remove mines?
Yes, only Engineering units can remove mines. Well, you could use telekinesis on a land unit and move it through or place it in minefields to trigger them. :) No damage for engineering units for removing mines.

8) In scenario number 10, the background should be in scenario number 9. Is that true?
See 4. If you are referring to the 2nd edition, I can't answer the question.

Like said at the beginning. I don't know if there are significant rule changes in NW 2nd, but the game would benefit from a fresh rewriting of the rules as there are some rule ambiguities and loopholes especially if you play with the expansion. The game would even benefit from an even more simplified and streamlined (combat) system...

JoMikel

It's been a while since the questions have been asked, but maybe the answers are useful to others as well. Regard that the answers are based on the first edition. I don't have the 2nd edition and I don't know if there are any significant rule changes.

No.

See 1: As it isn't an actice skill it doesn't require a skill check.

Unlimited. As long as the hexes are in LOS. However I would apply a house rule here, to limit the range. Maybe roll 2d6 before any telekinesis attempt. The number rolled is the range:
Say a unit in LOS is 7 hexes away, you would need to roll a 7 or more to grab the unit.

I think you are referring to the 2nd edition. I don't have the 2nd edition. But I think it's a reminder that damage dealt is of an electric source, able to reduce and/or destroy the Undead as well as regular targets.

Electric weapons are subjected to Weather effects (see Weather, Acid Rain e.g.). They are able to reduce and/or destroy the Undead!!!

No. Huge units are considered L1 obstacles that can block LOS and that can only take cover in, or behind other L1 Terrain (e.g. Woods, Urban, Smoke).

Yes, only Engineering units can remove mines. Well, you could use telekinesis on a land unit and move it through or place it in minefields to trigger them. :) No damage for engineering units for removing mines.

See 4. If you are referring to the 2nd edition, I can't answer the question.

Like said at the beginning. I don't know if there are significant rule changes in NW 2nd, but the game would benefit from a fresh rewriting of the rules as there are some rule ambiguities and loopholes especially if you play with the expansion. The game would even benefit from an even more simplified and streamlined (combat) system...

Thanks for help!
We played the game with great pleasure. It is a pity that the series does not develop further.

sparverius

This is true! I know that the designer had more ideas to further expand the NW68 series. There's even a free game on boardgamegeek set in the NW68 universe called "Autokross-88". Some kind of "Car Wars", a "Death Racing Game". Worth checking out!