Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Questions on Activation of units vs Action Points

sbjohnston

I'm excited to try out my Christmas presents: the two Tank on Tank games. I've got the West Front version set up but I'm confused a bit. The rules mention "activating" a unit for movement, and it costs one Action Point to do so - that's clear. But it also says you can activate an HQ unit for movement and then all adjacent units to it can move "freely". Do I understand correctly that activating the HQ unit as well as its adjacent units costs only one AP for all of them? That seems likely, but my confusion comes because at another spot in the rules there is a warning about movement of each unit costing one Action Point, implying each unit needs to be activated, then each moved at a cost of one AP per unit. It doesn't mention the other idea of HQ impact on use of AP.

What other implications does "activation" have? Can it only happen once per turn? If there aren't any other impacts, would it be fair to say the act of "activating" a unit is just selecting it for an action?

Sorry for what are probably very basic questions - I've owned and played wargames through the years but this is the first with these mechanics. Is this what I've heard called an "impulse" style game?

Thanks...

Steve

Whiterook

Website
www.militarywargaming.com
Hi Steve....you'll love this series!!!

It costs just the 1 AP to activate the HQ counter (platoon) and any other friendly platoons adjacent to the HQ. The way I look at it in theory and play is: I activate the HQ to say move two hexes. I choose to Free Move platoons that were next to the HQ before the HQ moved out....and they can go anywhere they want, within the constraints of their movement allowance.

One thing to keep in mind is, if one of the adjacent platoons next to the HQ (at the HQ's activation) was also, itself an HQ, it can do the free move, but cannot activate platoons next to it. Hope that makes sense.

On activations: It's al; governed by how many AP's you have, and then type of unit. Hard targets can spend an AP to fire in combat, and then spend another AP to move, all in the same turn; and you could even the spend an AP to promote it to an HQ that you lost previously!!! But soft targets can only shoot OR move, not both.

Whiterook

Website
www.militarywargaming.com
Glad to help out....it's a cool game! I'm playing out Stab to the Flank with one of my forum members (Scott) at my site...
http://www.militarywargaming.com/vi...sid=a7dbd82be9de484483c7da558f97f611&start=40

Scott played as the Germans in the last game and got slaughtered. We decided to play again, but switch sides.... and I'm trying hard not to get wiped out, LOL!

If you'd like to play a Play by Post version of the game, sign up and I (or other members) will be glad too take you on. If you'd like to run through a game in which you can ask questions as we go, we can do that too : )
Have a happy and safe New Years Eve!!!

Em