Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Questions on HQ-units

ohi

I'm coming back after some years. and have 2 questions:
1. how can I get information about the combined combat strength of an HQ and his subordinate units, so that I can decide quickly if I can order an attack for a battalion for example?

2. How can I move only the headquarter to a special point and not also the subordinates?

john connor

Hey. I don't know the answer to 1. As you know, no doubt, the F4 option indicates on the counters some idea of combat strength, though not one I've ever really paid much attention to, to be honest, because there is so much detailed information about numbers, morale, experience etc etc in the 'Force' window and I've always gone off that when planning. In particular, fatigue levels, of course. If you select an HQ then it will give info about the HQ in the Force window in the left column, then about all subordinates (aggregated) in the right column. But I don't know a way to get a kind of aggregate combat 'number' for a Bn etc. Someone else might have a clue.

As to moving and positioning the HQ alone you will have to detach it, in effect, which - as far as I know - you can only do by giving separate orders to the HQ and the subordinates. That is, select the subordinates (you can lassoo them, or Cntrl-left click them in turn) and give them some order. Then do the same for the HQ. Once the HQ is in the position you want it then you can click 'reattach' for all the subordinates. If you want them all to remain in the new positions relative to each other (as you would when Defending, perhaps) then once they're reattached give the HQ a new Defend order with 'in situ' selected. Carefully positioning an HQ in respect to its subordinates for an Attack is more complicated because once you give the Attack order to the HQ and attached subordinates the HQ will plan its own attack route etc and I know no way you can control that in detail except by giving separate orders to every unit, which is not really to do a Bn attack at all, of course. You can get some measure of control as to where the HQ will base during a Bn attack (say) by manually placing the forming up point for the attack. This you do by selecting the HQ (with all participating units attached), selecting Attack, then shift clicking where you want the FUP to be (same way you place waypoints), then after that placing where you want the Attack to be. The FUP is always the last 'waypoint' before the Attack marker. The HQ will base in relation to the FUP marker.

Sorry if this is all stuff you knew already.

I'm coming back after some years. and have 2 questions:
1. how can I get information about the combined combat strength of an HQ and his subordinate units, so that I can decide quickly if I can order an attack for a battalion for example?

I use the arrow keys and note strengths of subordinate units to the hq.

a. select HQ unit
b. hit down arrow key to get subordinate units
c. use the left and right arrow keys to scroll through subordinate units.

I look for units with high fatigue or low morale as I scroll. If most or all line units have low fatigue and high morale, the HQ is a candidate for a difficult task.
2. How can I move only the headquarter to a special point and not also the subordinates?

a. Select all subordinate units to the HQ and order them of "defend in situ." The strongest unit of the group will be assigned as the temporary commander for the order.
b. Select HQ unit and order it to move it to new location while leaving the subordinates in defensive position.
c. To restore command, select the temporary command unit of the subordinates ordered to "defend in situ" and reattach to the HQ.

Assuming the separate order to a HQ unit is to avoid putting it in the middle of combat, this routine will be less necessary with the upcoming patch. Particularly with move, attack, and defend orders, the HQ unit will be placed in a less vulnerable position than at the front of an attack, march or defense zone.. .

Reactions: Rob