Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Reloaded and/or Fade to Black?

NickR

Greetings all,

I'm looking to try some Zombie gaming solo. I'm a long-time tabletop wargamer and RPG player, so both the current Reloaded and the upcoming FFO sound like a great option. I'd appreciate some input, though.

1) I'll play with 15mm terrain and miniatures either way, so can Reloaded be adapted easily to use 3d terrain and a more 'war gaming' type setup?

2) the idea of scenarios, events and reaction tables sounds cool from the board game version... what would FFO bring to the table I can't get with Reloaded?

Any general advice? perhaps get both and combine them?

Nick,

My understanding is that they are effectively the same game, rule and play-wise. ATZ:Reloaded is optimized for the hex board while Fade to Black (which I believe is the spiritual successor to ATZ:Final Fade Out) is optimized for tabletop miniatures.

I don't have the Reloaded rules in front of me right now, but I believe the hexes would equate to about 2 inches on the table top. For what it's worth, I have a Reloaded AAR on my blog you might find helpful if you've not played any of the ATZ games: http://distractionsinminiature.blogspot.com/p/the-trials-of-tanya-episode-1.html

NickR

Thanks Scott! I actually read your blog post a few days ago and it definitely started me seriously considering the board-game version. When you setup the game, do you use two of the printed maps each time, and mix it up varying the maps used? They are each 11x17, right?

Thanks Scott! I actually read your blog post a few days ago and it definitely started me seriously considering the board-game version. When you setup the game, do you use two of the printed maps each time, and mix it up varying the maps used? They are each 11x17, right?

Nick,

I use two of the maps just to give me more room to play. You can actually use however many as you want in whatever configuration you desire.You'll just need to keep track of what map you are currently on as it affects which sections of the Event Cards you use.

If you like zombie themed games, you'll probably like the ATZ products. If you don't currently have miniatures with which to play, I'd suggest purchasing ATZ:reloaded. Or, if you have the miniatures, but no space to set up a good table (my problem), there's no reason you can't push metal around the ATZ:Reloaded game boards if you don't want to use the counters.

If you've never played a Two Hour Wargames product, you might want to swing by Ed's website and pick up Chain Reaction. It's the core "modern" game upon which pretty much everything TWH is based. It's a complete game in itself. And, it's free.... http://www.twohourwargames.com/chrefive.html

I'm really not a shill for Ed and TWH, but his games are just too much fun. ;-)