Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Road types and the Russian Front

Grognerd

I have managed to find an excellent source map for MapScan 0. An actual 1942 operational WW2 German map! It shows a road network, I'm going to use the track road type in the editor. These should be just dirt roads.
But before I go there are minor roads considered dirt or paved?

PS the establishment files Ive started working on, I decided to use WestWall Estab files and modify them.
I need to duplicate a lot of German files to modify them for Dec 1942. Added the Soviet side and will add a Rumanian side also (some of the ad hoc forces were Romanian). Estab editing is tedious but not that hard.

Attached source map...Source map.jpg

john connor

Will you be able to produce a historically accurate 1942 estab for Russian and Axis forces?

Grognerd

Will you be able to produce a historically accurate 1942 estab for Russian and Axis forces?
Well, yeah as accurate as the sources I have (20 or so books) and the internet. I have some fairly good source books. Using the 1944 German Estabs in Westwall, I note a good bit of gear that was not available in 1942, I'll have to duplicate the unit and delete the gear, and create new weapons (if required) to replace them. The Panzerfaust and a 1944 assault rifle are 2 good examples. I created the PzIV F2 model, needed to create a new 7.5 cm tank gun L/43 variety as the L48 did not go into production until 1943. It's not all that hard, but it is time consuming.

I have managed to find an excellent source map for MapScan 0. An actual 1942 operational WW2 German map! It shows a road network, I'm going to use the track road type in the editor. These should be just dirt roads.
But before I go there are minor roads considered dirt or paved?

. . .

The road designation is relative. Attributes for any tile can be changed by double clicking on it and changing numerical values for the movement attributes. .

Last edited:

Grognerd

Well, I think the map is nearly done - not a busy map - Note the screen grab does not quite show the whole map but most of it. Might throw a few more names on villages.
Now to finish the Estab files, that will take a lot longer...
mapp1.jpg