Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Rule 5.3 Opportunity Fire

Tony Bravo

Gentlemen, I had a question in regards to Opportunity Fire that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to, but wanted to clarify here.

In another board game forum, a question was asked about Opportunity Fire and if a defending squad can make more then one opportunity fire on the advancing squad. I pointed them to the Rule 5.3 Opportunity Fire and cited the text below

"A unit expending MPs (either entering a new hex, pivoting within a hex or unloading/loading) can be subjected to OF attacks equaling the MP-cost of the movement (thus two OF attacks can be made on a unit entering a Light Woods hex)..."

I then explained the following to him verbatim:

"Lets say that the enemy unit approaching your hex enters into a Wheat Field hex as he marches his way on to you. Because the enemy unit expended 2 Movement Points to enter the Wheat Field, you can take 2 Opportunity Fires against him while he's in that hex. The caveat to this is that you need 2 separate units both with LOS to the enemy within the wheat field to accomplish this. Once both of your units with LOS OP Fire at the enemy, they are again marked with a Fired Marker. "

Now here is my question to you: I just reread the rules and can't find anything explicitly states that it must be two separate defending squad that are allowed to opportunity fire if multiple MPs are spent by an advancing opponent. My logic in thinking is that once the first squad takes Opportunity Fire on the advancing squad, he is marked with a Fired Marker immediately. Then if another defending squad has LOS to the advancing opponent, he can take the second Opportunity Fire. Am I correct in my reading of the rules or is the original squad allowed to take *2* shots on the advancing army?

I'm looking for clarification so that if I'm wrong, I can correct my answer in the other forum.

Jeff Lewis

once you fire you are marked Fired; you don't get a second shot unless you have the Slayer Skill. It's a second unit that can fire.