Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

SADF Module.... chance to comment on new units

Matt Lohse

As I have been working on the counter list for the conversion of the South African LOF scenarios into a full, stand alone game, I wanted to give a chance for the community to offer input and make suggestions. The formatting may have gotten messed up going from excel to word to message board so I apologize for any confusion. The lists were also broken up by LOF issue for my tracking purposes, so some stuff gets split oddly.

As envisioned, the game will have 2 counter sheets (260 counters, of which 65-70 will be info). This means there will be the 136 unit/formation counters that were in LOF plus 55-60 new units. The lists below come to ~270 counters so I will need to cut a bit from this list. The existing LOF counters will not be changed, but the new ones might be if there are suggestions that seem really good and/or if people point out an error I am introducing.

South Africans

Existing

numbers

formation

counters

Breu

Form, HQ, 3x Olifant, 1x Eland 90, 1x Ratel 90, 1x Casspir, 1x Infantry

20th

Form, HQ, 3x Casspir, 3x Inf, 1x Ratel 20

Misc

1x SS-11 [FAPLA sagger back], 1xImpala II [blank back], 1x Olifant, 1 x Alouette III, 1x DF

Misc

1x Olifant

44th

Form, HQ, 6x Para, 3x Puma, 1x 81mm Mortar

misc

Militia Form, 2x Militia, 1x ENTAC/SA-7, 4x Refugees/Arm civ, 1x Cars/Arm Civ

misc

Sniper

The Sagger on the back of the SS-11 SW will become an SA-7 probably.

New units.

1x HQ, 1x Olifant, 1x Form

1x Form, 1x HQ, 1x eland 60mm mortar, 2x ratel 90mm, 2x inf, 1x ratel 20mm

Form, HQ, 1x militia

81mm mortar, Land rover with B-11 107mm RCL, 1x SW (SS-11/SA-7), Leader, Comet 77mm

The Olifant and the Militia units are building existing spare counters into standalone units. I would prefer more normal recon and infantry companies than the hybrid I have, but wanted both more infantry and more recon units for a scenario I have in mind, so compromises were in order. May drop a couple of the extra units. Would need 3 new formation names.

Cubans

Existing

50th

Form, HQ, 4x T-62, 2 x T-55, 1 x BDRM, 1, Su-100, 4x BTR-152, 4 x Inf

17th

Form, HQ, 2x PT-76, 1x T-62, 2x BRDM, 2x BTR-60, 2x Inf

misc

1x ZSU-57, 1x Sagger/SA-7, 1x DF [FAPLA DF back]

misc

1x T55

50th

1x T-62

34 TAC

1x Hind E

Designated Formation Marker will be split to have separate Cuban and FAPLA ones.

New Units…

5x T-62 [50th]

Form, HQ, 8 BTR60, 8 Inf

Mig21/Su-7, 1x SW (Sagger/SA7), 1x RCL/ATG (D44), ZSU23, 120mm mortar, SA9

Expanding the 50th to full strength and adding a mech. Infantry unit for several scenarios I have in mind. Also adding assorted other units, some of which may have to be dropped. Infantry unit may need to be cut down to 7 platoons to save a couple of counters. Will need 1 formation name.

FAPLA

Existing Units

1st Lt

[No Form], 1x HQ, 7x Inf, 1x 82mm RCL, 1x 81mm mortar, 1x HMG

misc

1x Sagger [SS-11 back], 1x DF [Cuban DF back…. drop]

misc

2x T34/85

9th

Form, HQ, 7xT55, 1x Shilka, 2x BTR-152, 3x Inf

1st Lt

Form

misc

1x PT-76, 1x BRDM-AT, 2x Gun Truck, 1x ZPU-2, 1x Truck, 1x SB/mig23, 1x SB/Hostage

Sagger is being split off from the SS-11, will probably have an SA-7 back. DF marker also being split.

New units.

leader, sniper, 1x D44 or B10 [82mm]

Assorted odds and ends.

USMC… Staying with the existing 17, no new counters.

UNITA.

New Units

Form, HQ, 6 inf

1 x Heavy MG, 1 x B-11 ATG, Leader, sniper, 82mm mortar, 1 x Milan/Stinger?

Adding a small UNITA formation for several scenarios I had in mind. May have to cut back on the support units a bit. Will need a formation name.

rastamann

I could suggest "Dragões do Planalto" (Plateau Dragoons), given that UNITA controlled the central and strategic Bié Plateau or "Dragões do Huambo" (Huambo was UNITA's capital city).

Hello,

I read some assays about the border war South Africa - Namibia, so I hope, I can
help you to find names for new formations:

SADF:
New Tank formation with Olifants: "81th Amoured" or "Pretoria Guards" (the same)

New Infantry formation: "32 battalion (the terrible ones)" or "82th Mechanized" or "4th SA"

Cuba:
Mech. Infantry: "Santiago (d.Cuba)"

USMC:
Please a new name, because I don´t want to have this formation 3 times.
e.g.: MAU

UNITA:
"3rd regular" or "5th regular"

Notes:
According to the battle report of Cuito Cuanavala, my proposal is to make the new tank formation
with 2 * Olifants and 2 * Ratel90. Take one RATEL90 from the new infantry formation.
If the new infantry formation is the "32", then the infantry should have the same stats, as the
44th paras or the formation get a second activation chit, because the 32 were really terrible ones.
The cuban forces should have more T55 instead of T62. In the named battle there was a big duel
between RATEL90 and T55.

with best regards

Juan de Austria

Matt Lohse

Many thanks for the suggestions!

Hello,

I read some assays about the border war South Africa - Namibia, so I hope, I can
help you to find names for new formations:

SADF:
New Tank formation with Olifants: "81th Amoured" or "Pretoria Guards" (the same)

New Infantry formation: "32 battalion (the terrible ones)" or "82th Mechanized" or "4th SA"

Cuba:
Mech. Infantry: "Santiago (d.Cuba)"

USMC:
Please a new name, because I don´t want to have this formation 3 times.
e.g.: MAU

UNITA:
"3rd regular" or "5th regular"

Notes:
According to the battle report of Cuito Cuanavala, my proposal is to make the new tank formation
with 2 * Olifants and 2 * Ratel90. Take one RATEL90 from the new infantry formation.
If the new infantry formation is the "32", then the infantry should have the same stats, as the
44th paras or the formation get a second activation chit, because the 32 were really terrible ones.
The cuban forces should have more T55 instead of T62. In the named battle there was a big duel
between RATEL90 and T55.

with best regards

Juan de Austria