Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Saving Brigadier Hill

Broadsword56

I think the place to put the Vickers was in that black building on the lower right of the map. That way, it's fairly well protected and able to shoot all the way across the map and sweep the road and VP hex. The more you can put MGs on the flanks and enfilading the enemy, the better.

Hmm, I didn’t see that. I’ll look back over the map. I may play it with this set up and then try your suggestion.

I think the place to put the Vickers was in that black building on the lower right of the map. That way, it's fairly well protected and able to shoot all the way across the map and sweep the road and VP hex. The more you can put MGs on the flanks and enfilading the enemy, the better.

Broadsword56

If you do end up deploying the Vickers where I suggested, then the other part of this suggested setup would be:

Task Organization:
Left Flank Force: 1 or more infantry units
Center Force: 1 or more infantry units
Reserve: 1 or more infantry units
Heavy Weapons: The Vickers MG
CP: Your leader

Deploy Heavy Weapons to the black house on the SE corner of the map, as I recommended.
This plan will use the left side of the map as a series of fallback defensive lines for your infantry.
Deploy Reserve + CP in the "H" shaped red-roofed building (right-center of the map).

1. First defensive line: Left Flank Force on N hedge border of the plowed field S of the number "16." Center Force in building with the walled garden. (This covers the open field where the number "16" is). Try to get some good shots on enemy in the open, then displace and fall back before return fire gets to enough to suppress you.

2. Second defensive line: Gradually refuse your left flank by displacing Left Flank Force to the S hedge border. Continue holding the building with the walled garden as long as possible, as this is the "hinge" of your position.

3. Third defensive line: As Left Flank Force continues to hold the building with the walled garden, refuse the left flank still further by pulling your Left Flank Force back from the S hedge of the plowed field to the wooden building on the SE corner of the field, and from there if necessary withdraw SE to the light trees hex (your 1st reserve location). The Vickers will be able to cover them at that point. In the meantime, continue holding the building with the walled garden as long as possible.

4. Once the left flank is safely refused, Center Force can concede the building with the walled garden and withdraw SE to the treeline.

Broadsword56

You might ask, "What if the Germans don't attack on the left but attack on the right flank instead?"
In that case, Left Flank Force becomes your reserve while your Reserve Force+CP and the Vickers do the fighting on that side.
The "8" shaped wheatfield on your right is a likely German axis of advance, if they can reach it. But it does them little good, because the VP hex is way over on the left across lots of open ground.
So I think a right-side attack is much less likely, and easier to defend against.