Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

scenmaker question

john connor

Dave, quick question about cohesion (well, 3 questions...). I'm trying to set up random cohesion factors for 101st AB in a scenario. But if I set the random factor at 10%, say, then the base as 70% (and apply to all sub-units)then I find that many units, when they're just landed, still have 9% cohesion, for example.

1. So - is there a hard wired piece of program that automatically knocks their cohesion for six when they have just dropped from the sky?

2. If so, does cohesion recover from this special circumstance quicker than normal?

3. And, if so, when I set cohesion in scenmaker (at say 70%) what am I setting? Am I setting that unit's max cohesion possible, or its cohesion at start (from which, with ideal circumstances it could recover to 100%), but not taking into account the hit from the jump?

In other words, can I control the starting cohesion of para units at all, or does the game automatically do that, regardless of the settings I choose in scenmaker? In which case what I can control is only their max possible cohesion, after they have got past the drop, right? Or is it something else entirely? Can I give a unit a 70% cohesion setting in scenmaker, see that drop to 9% in the game when it lands in chaos, then see it recover (ideally) to 100% (in which case, what does the 70% stipulation achieve?)

It's probably in the manual....

Thanks,

Peter

Last edited:

john connor

OK. Read the manual now.....

I see there's is an 'arrival type' setting affecting many things, including cohesion! Ingenious.

So that just leaves me wondering - if I set cohesion at 70% can a unit ever get cohesion above that, or is that the max possible?

There. That's a quick question.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
No it's just the at start cohesion level. All units can go up to 100% if allowed. Airborne arrival though overrides your cohesion setting. Cohesion is basically a measure of how well organised the force is. I can tell you from personal experience that when you drop a unit out of a plane several thousand feet above the target the guys end up spread all over the place. If there is a little wind they can end up a couple of k away and a lot further with a strong wind. We don't model each individual soldier. So to represent this effect we apply a substantial negative hit on the units cohesion. That way the unit will stay put, reorg till its cohesion level recovers to a reasonable amount and then move on. That simulates the officers and NCOs rounding up their charges. It all takes time. Typically in WW2 it took at least 30 minutes and more often than not an hour. In some cases such as in Normandy it took longer.