Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Nick DelCorpo

I have a question about an Italian vehicle featured in Heroes of North Africa. There is a Semovente da 75/18. This I understand was basically a M13/40 converted to a self-propelled gun with an Italian 75mm mountain howitzer laid into a riveted superstructure with armor rated at;
  • Front: 30–50 mm (1.2–2.0 in)
  • Sides/rear: 25 mm (0.98 in)
  • Floor/roof: 6–9 mm (0.24–0.35 in)
LnL-T stats

The parent model, M13/40 was rated as such (both from Wikipedia, but confirmed by several primary and secondary sources),was also equipped with a riveted turret;

• Front: 30 mm (1.2 in)
  • Sides/rear: 25 mm (0.98 in
  • Floor/roof: 6–14 mm (0.24–0.55 in)
  • Turret front: 42 mm (1.7 in)
LnL-T stats
2/3
2/2
2/2

The following sentence was also in the wikipedia article, thought it is not cited. I will attempt to confirm sources independently for the following statement (Correction: quote from: "World War 2 In Review: Italian Fighting Vehicles", Issue 1 by Mirriam Press),

"This self-propelled gun was built with riveted steel plates, which were thicker but also less sloped than in the original tank (50 mm as against 42 mm max). Frontal Armour was almost vertical, but it consisted of two plates that strengthened it when compared to a simple homogeneous steel plate(Italics mine).

The Armor stats for both vehicles don't seem to add up to me, I think the semovente should be at 2 (if not 3!), all the way down, at the least. I was wondering, I'm I off here? Thank in advance!

Last edited:

acctingman69

I agree with you. But, I do not own the game, but I know my AFV's and it's the oddities like this that make me hesitate to purchase this game (or, more than likely, correct the inaccuracies of vehicle stats)

Nick DelCorpo

don't let this small slip discourage you from the system. 9.5 x 10 they are spot on, and the system is one of the best at 50m bar none. Also, they good enough to fix a counter if they are mistaken on a statistic. More than likely a small oversight, but they are handling a large volume getting the system back on-line as it were, and currently available for purchase. Any fan of some time with the system can tell you, they haven't been available for purchase from LnL Publishing for some time, so its very nice to see all available. If you need any proof on how the hard it was to find (and afford) a box game, go over to Noble Knight and see what they charge for a first edition of Not One Step Back! (its A lot!!!). Thanks for confirming the validity of these armor stats though, I was starting to think I was the one off here. (so many views, no replies?)

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
In hindsight, it should probably be 2/2/2. When we do a correction booklet for the LnLT series we may change it to 2/2/2 allowing for the customer reprint. The M13/40 #s are spot on and the turret had thicker armor in the front, thus the 2/3 for frontal armor. Sorry for the delay in my reply.

David

Nick DelCorpo

Thanks for the reply David, I was not trying to call anyone out, sorry If I came across that way. I agree with the M13/40 stats all the way! (Do you think a 3 for the front of the "Semo" is a tad much? ):) Keep up the great work. All in all I am really enjoying my HoNA tremendously! (detailed review to be forthcoming)

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
Hi, Nick,

I don't mind being called out.... I just needed more time to research the issue and I sometimes forget to get back to a question. So always feel free to ask or remind me to answer a question.

I also think M13/40 is good at 3 and we going to hold the line on that one. I am looking forward to the forthcoming review.

David

Nick DelCorpo

Okay, i can agree with that. I was torn between a 2 or a 3, but the stats listed in all my sources give a range, so I think were okay with the 2 up the front. I'm looking forward to some of the later Italian armor. They had some decent stuff, just nothing produced in any volume. I'd love to see that 90mm spg make it to the table.