Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Shaken MMCs and their support weapons

Imagine if you will: 2 shaken squads in a hex with a shaken leader at the start of the Rally phase. One squad has a machine gun SW. The leader self-rallies, then the squad without the SW rallies, but the other squad, the one with the machine gun SW, fails to rally.

How does the GO squad get the SW from the shaken squad?

They can't pass it during the Rally phase, because both units need to be in GO to do that. Only way I can figure it is the the shaken squad has to physically leave the hex during an Operations impulse, dropping/abandoning the SW. Then the GO squad has to spend 2 MPs to pick it up during its own impulse. Am I missing an easier way?

Thanks for the succinct response ;)

So I guess shaken units clutch their support weapons close to them for that feeling for security…

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Yep. Notice that before v4.1, shaken units were not even allowed to abandon their SW, making them sitting ducks if they were crewing assembled tripod SW. I suppose there is a good reason as to why they are still not allowed to abandon them in the Rally phase :)

It's a pretty nice example of design for effect, as it makes it more critical to rally shaken units. You can't just strip them of their SWs and move on (or at least not very easily).

Yep rules rules this out.

BUT...

You could House Rule something if you want...I don't see historical precident for shaken troops huddling around their say LMG but have read of guys grabbing equipment not in use....

Say as an action a GO Leader with GO Squad can relieve shaken troops of SW for 2MPs or say the GO Squad needs to start on the same hex as the shaken dudes and are marked Low Crawl and can exchange the SW or even in the rally phase you have the option to disperse a shaken unit leaving the SW up for grabs...

The world is your oyster :)

Jimmy hansen

Oh my. I see some future crazy German moves in my ongoing Wednesday night Heroes of Normandy and US Airborne campaign

My friends and I play this House Rule for exchange of SW between good order units and SHAKEN units in the Rally Phase.

3.0:
During the Rally Phase, a Good Order squad or SMC may attempt to take possession of a SW controlled by a Shaken unit in the same hex. Roll 1d6 if the die roll is ≤ 2, the Good Order unit may take possession of the SW. The Leadership modifier of a leader in the hex may be subtracted from the die roll. An unsuccessful attempt has no adverse effect.

Nice house rule William.

We usually play by the rules but have trialed if a GO leader is in the hex with the two units concerned during the rally phase (obviously the unit the the SW has failed it’s rally) if the leader passes a morale check an exchange maybe made...seemed to wotk okay...

Cheers!