Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Shaken Unit and their movement in relation to Enemies

Nick DelCorpo

I have a shaken squad, they are adjacent to a stone building and an enemy crew with a 0 FP. Must I move backwards into the clear hex or can I move into the building that has a good order squad in it, giving them more protection, and does the fact that the crew unit doesn't have a FP play any role as well Thanks in advance?

Jeff Lewis

0-FP is a still an FP. It's just 0. So 1d6 + 0 instead of say, 1d6 + 1.

As for the movement, you can't move a shaken unit toward a good order enemy unit in its LOS. Not sure exactly your situation w/o seeing it.

Warren Smith

As for the movement, you can't move a shaken unit toward a good order enemy unit in its LOS. Not sure exactly your situation w/o seeing it.

I've tried to upload an image to show the situation, but I can't figure out how to do that.

Can a Shaken unit move Adjacent to a GO enemy unit as long as it's not moving CLOSER to any other enemy unit in LOS? Coming from ASL, it just seems like it should NOT be allowed to do that, but the rule just says it's can't move closer and nothing about moving adjacent. In the situation for which I tried to upload a photo, the Shaken squad runs down the street adjacent to the enemy unit that caused him to get Shaken and the rules seem to allow this even though it makes no sense to me.

Related to this situation, what if the Shaken unit cannot see an enemy unit due to a building and then moves into that building and becomes adjacent? It's not moving closer to an enemy unit in LOS. Of course, this might not be the smartest thing to do, but I could see wanting to try it if I also had a SMC who could also make it to the hex to try and Rally the unit in the next Rally Phase.

If someone can explain how to upload images, I'd be happy to post some to clarify.

Thanks.

Cottonbaler

Warren,
I interpret the basic rule (and intent of the rule) to mean not move/advance closer to any spotted/known GO enemy unit. In the case of unspotted/unknown enemy units, I still won't move a shaken unit toward them due to the risk of capture/elimination (i.e. increased threat to survival). I generally move shaken units away from the enemy if I need to move them, especially to cover. And if in cover terrain already, I normally leave them in place unless an enemy moves adjacent to them (obviously without assaulting that same activation).

In my view, a shaken unit is no longer combat effective and will look to survival as its number one priority. A shaken unit would not take an action/move that goes against this priority.

Can the rules text be interpreted by some to justify what others consider to be unrealistic behavior/action -- probably.

To make a long answer short, go with what your gut tells you and what you can agree to with your opponent.
Steve

Jeff Lewis

I've tried to upload an image to show the situation, but I can't figure out how to do that.

Can a Shaken unit move Adjacent to a GO enemy unit as long as it's not moving CLOSER to any other enemy unit in LOS? Coming from ASL, it just seems like it should NOT be allowed to do that, but the rule just says it's can't move closer and nothing about moving adjacent. In the situation for which I tried to upload a photo, the Shaken squad runs down the street adjacent to the enemy unit that caused him to get Shaken and the rules seem to allow this even though it makes no sense to me.

Related to this situation, what if the Shaken unit cannot see an enemy unit due to a building and then moves into that building and becomes adjacent? It's not moving closer to an enemy unit in LOS. Of course, this might not be the smartest thing to do, but I could see wanting to try it if I also had a SMC who could also make it to the hex to try and Rally the unit in the next Rally Phase.

If someone can explain how to upload images, I'd be happy to post some to clarify.

Thanks.
If you are already adjacent, and moving to another adjacent hex, but not closer to another enemy unit . . . that would be allowed, as it's no closer.

The second situation is not allowed; it's moving closer--adjacent from not adjacent, if I understand you correctly.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Related to this situation, what if the Shaken unit cannot see an enemy unit due to a building and then moves into that building and becomes adjacent? It's not moving closer to an enemy unit in LOS..

That is exactly how I play it. If the shaken unit cannot see the enemy unit from one hex, it can move out of said hex and closer to the enemy unit but as soon as it can see it, it can't move any closer.

Notice that the enemy unit doses not have to be spotted to prevent a shaken unit from moving closer.

Jeff Lewis

That is exactly how I play it. If the shaken unit cannot see the enemy unit from one hex, it can move out of said hex and closer to the enemy unit but as soon as it can see it, it can't move any closer.

Notice that the enemy unit doses not have to be spotted to prevent a shaken unit from moving closer.

Again, this is not allowed. You are moving closer to an enemy Good Order unit. It does not matter whether you had LOS to it before the move. You are moving closer to it during the move, which is what is prohibited.

Warren Smith

Again, this is not allowed. You are moving closer to an enemy Good Order unit. It does not matter whether you had LOS to it before the move. You are moving closer to it during the move, which is what is prohibited.
Then the wording in 6.0 is perhaps a bit confusing. In the 6th paragraph of 6.0 it says "unless such a move would bring a Shaken unit closer to an enemy unit in their LOS..."

Maybe I'm missing something, but there does not appear to be any 1 section that indicates what a shaken unit can and can not do. I think such a section would be quite helpful. This is the only reference I have found to not allowing a Shaken unit to move closer to an enemy unit in its LOS.

Jeff Lewis

Then the wording in 6.0 is perhaps a bit confusing. In the 6th paragraph of 6.0 it says "unless such a move would bring a Shaken unit closer to an enemy unit in their LOS..."

Maybe I'm missing something, but there does not appear to be any 1 section that indicates what a shaken unit can and can not do. I think such a section would be quite helpful. This is the only reference I have found to not allowing a Shaken unit to move closer to an enemy unit in its LOS.

Both 5.1 and the DFT detail what a Shaken unit can/can't do.

Of the LOS thing, you can move away from a unit in your LOS. If you are not in an enemy unit's LOS, and moving toward it puts you in its LOS, you are moving closer to it. Prohibited. And in the situation describe above, it would be tactically unsound to do this.

Warren Smith

Both 5.1 and the DFT detail what a Shaken unit can/can't do.

Of the LOS thing, you can move away from a unit in your LOS. If you are not in an enemy unit's LOS, and moving toward it puts you in its LOS, you are moving closer to it. Prohibited. And in the situation describe above, it would be tactically unsound to do this.
Ah. Thanks for the reference. Never even thought to check the DFT for it. Figured I was missing something.

And, in general, I would agree with you that it is unsound tactically. The way my last game (and first for that matter) turned out, such a situation could have occurred and then a leader could have moved into the same hex with the shaken unit and potentially rallied it. Perhaps not the best plan but one born out of desperation. :)

Thanks for the clarifications.

That is also how I applied the sentence of the DFT "Shaken units cannot advance toward an enemy unit in their Line of Sight"... now, my rivals are impugning my victories. :facepalm:

Jeff Lewis

Guys, when you move closer to a unit, whether it was in your LOS before you moved or not, you are moving closer to a unit that is in your LOS.