Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

SI Federation Clarification Questions

1) If an activation overflows to an action that would not be available to that faction if the overflow chit was drawn do you still do the overflow action?

e.g. Mutants are at Pace. A Press activation for the Mutants is drawn. They have no ships out. The rule book says "If non of this race's fleets are in play, this effect is instead treated as a Spawn Effect". Does this mean this replace the rules for this Press chit with the rules for a Spawn activation (so carry out a spawn) or treat the chit as if a Spawn chit was drawn (which the Mutants cant use when at peace)?

The only place I can even find about invalid actions is 4 words on page 26 that say "Invalid results are ignored".

2) The Total War level of the War Effort chart has a +Advance after the valid actions bar. I assume this means they do the action on the Activation chit then also do an Advance Action. Do these happen at the same time or one after another?

3) If you destroy multiple fleets in one attack, can you choose their order on the spawn track?

4) For combat, a single sword icon allows a combat to happen, a double means combat will happen and you add 1 die, a triple means combat will happen and you add 1 die to this location and adjacent ones. What does a single sword in a shield mean (on the flip side of all the bases and on the Defense base)? The closest thing I can find in the rule book is the alien tach Advanced Defense System, but all that does is remove a die when rolling combat, and from how I am interpreting the combat section, the alien races don't roll for combat.

5) If a undefended base on its starting side has an alien fleet enter its space, I assume the base is removed and you move the Military Loss track up 1 and push the invading fleet back 1 space (since you technically rolled no successes).

Thanks,
Sean

4) For combat, a single sword icon allows a combat to happen, a double means combat will happen and you add 1 die, a triple means combat will happen and you add 1 die to this location and adjacent ones. What does a single sword in a shield mean (on the flip side of all the bases and on the Defense base)? The closest thing I can find in the rule book is the alien tach Advanced Defense System, but all that does is remove a die when rolling combat, and from how I am interpreting the combat section, the alien races don't roll for combat.
Here is a thread from Boardgamegeek where the same question is discussed. The designer explained that the shield icon was supposed to be the "two sword" icon. Until your question gets answered directly here, I recommend checking the thread on BGG.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2582766/sword-globe-symbols

I'm still a little confused.

Answers in RED below.

1) If an activation overflows to an action that would not be available to that faction if the overflow chit was drawn do you still do the overflow action?

e.g. Mutants are at Pace. A Press activation for the Mutants is drawn. They have no ships out. The rule book says "If non of this race's fleets are in play, this effect is instead treated as a Spawn Effect". Does this mean this replace the rules for this Press chit with the rules for a Spawn activation (so carry out a spawn) or treat the chit as if a Spawn chit was drawn (which the Mutants cant use when at peace)?

The only place I can even find about invalid actions is 4 words on page 26 that say "Invalid results are ignored".

Yes the overflow action still happens.

2) The Total War level of the War Effort chart has a +Advance after the valid actions bar. I assume this means they do the action on the Activation chit then also do an Advance Action. Do these happen at the same time or one after another?

They perform their activation, then advance. This means that if their action somehow leads to pushing their war effort into total war they would then get an advance. This can happen with greed, and if they advance into a combat in which one of their fleets are destroyed.

3) If you destroy multiple fleets in one attack, can you choose their order on the spawn track?

Yes.

It means I need to make an errata file. But basically all the bases should probably have a single sword on their starting weaker side. The resource bases (the ones that give 2 of a resource; maneuver, build, espionage, and research) should have a 2 sword icon on their upgraded side. The Defensive base (the one that unlock Morale and Diplomacy), should have a 2 sword icon and a 3 sword icon on the weaker side, and two of each on the upgraded side.

5) If a undefended base on its starting side has an alien fleet enter its space, I assume the base is removed and you move the Military Loss track up 1 and push the invading fleet back 1 space (since you technically rolled no successes).

Technically all the bases should at least have a single sword for triggering combat. Since... well people defend themselves even if they aren't specifically trained or have equipment designed for it. This will have to be part of the errata I'm working on.

Thanks,
Sean