Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

SITREP

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
SITREP Fri 12 Jun 2020.

I have finally got partial replanning working for the abandon mission event. It's been a grind.I am now replicating my partial replanning changes for the reinforcement event. I've had one hack at it, but am now fine tuning it. I'm sorry that it's taken this long but it is complicated.

BlackJaguar

Thank you for the update Dave, looking forward. I know game development is hard,I know because I have worked on and released game as well.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
I'm still doing rounds of autotesting. The way it works is that I do a compile and run the autotester. It plays a number of games and logs the results. If there is an assert it makes a recording. I then run the recording, assess the problem and fix it. It's an iterative process. Games are lasting a lot longer now before they hit an assert. I had my first game go right through on Monday. So I'm making progress, just not as fast I'd like.This partial replanning code has broken a lot of the old scheduling rules. These were based on assumptions which are no longer valid and hence need rewiring.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
But good things are also coming from this new partial planning code. Today, in tracking down an assert, I was stepping through a recording in which a Field Arty Bn arrived as a reinforcement and was assigned to a Secure mission being conducted by CCA 7 AD HQ. The new partial replanning code had asserted that everyone assigned to the mission would now be based leaving no-one to actually occupy the objective. I suspected that the HQ did have a line unit originally assigned. Sure enough, it did, but it was destroyed.

The UnitDestroyed() should have checked to see if the special requirement for having a line or line support unit was met. But when I stepped through the function it was clear this had been overlooked. So the HQ stopped basing and moved directly towards the objective and needless to say the same hostile forces that destroyed its line unit earlier. I believe this explains why we were still seeing the odd senior HQ advancing to hostile objectives. So when I finish fixing this it will knock that aberration on its head.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
SITREP 16:20 Fri 3 Jul 2020

Well it's been a grueling week at the coding desk. But I I have the game back up and running. It just completed a game without an assert. So pleased at that. I'll let the autotester run over the weekend. If all goes well, I'll merge my code back into the Master codebase and see if we can a build out next week. :)

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Art,

Did you say a Fosters? The last time I had a Fosters was in the US in 2004. You would be hard pressed to find a Fosters on sale in Australia nowadays. Many people in Canberra, where I live, drink the local brew from BentSpoke: https://www.bentspokebrewing.com.au/can-range/
Though I'm partial to a Peroni lager myself. My son, Sean, is a bit of a beer connoisseur, and he chastises me that all lagers taste the same, though he reserves even more scorn for a Fosters. :)

Art Hall

Art,

Did you say a Fosters? The last time I had a Fosters was in the US in 2004. You would be hard pressed to find a Fosters on sale in Australia nowadays. Many people in Canberra, where I live, drink the local brew from BentSpoke: https://www.bentspokebrewing.com.au/can-range/
Though I'm partial to a Peroni lager myself. My son, Sean, is a bit of a beer connoisseur, and he chastises me that all lagers taste the same, though he reserves even more scorn for a Fosters. :)

Next time you are in the states (or any place that has a decent selection of US stuff) try a Shiner Bock.........local Texas brewery down near San Antonio, good stuff.

Agema

Art,

It is unfortunately mostly true that the more mass market something becomes, the worse it becomes. Soulless multinational pish manufacturers have bought out quite a few of the better end European beers, and pretty much the first thing they've done is source cheaper ingredients, cut the brewing time, and license production out to local breweries which will never really taste the same. Meh. They don't care if they murder a great beer with centuries of heritage: they can just buy out smaller independents who establish successful new brands and find a new beer to degrade and flog.

Good news on the progress, waiting patiently here.

ultradave

I am lucky. We have about 5 local small breweries. Half also serve food (pizza/salad/food truck). And my daughter lives about an hour away and there are 4 (four, count 'em) just in her town of about 30,000. We went to one just yesterday to visit with her first time since all the Covid stuff started. Stony Creek Brewery (right on Stony Creek, of course, near Long Island Sound). She's an RN at a large hospital and for the last 3 months has been treating Covid patients. Just got released back to her normal routine a couple weeks ago. Social distance visit, but nice to see her safe and sound and sample a couple really good beers, share a pizza and some delicious meatball sliders. Nice afternoon by the waterside.