Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

SITREP

panzerpit

I post just in case somebody missed that v. 5.2.47 just landed on Steam in Beta branch... It's going to be a busy weekend! :)
Huge thanks for your work for all the devs :)

Last edited:

JArraya

Great news! Just updated and had a quick look. First impressions are good!
I noticed the end screen has different abbreviations now.
Thanks to Dave and the team!

Agent Smith

Pity.
Seems odd that it would appear on steam prior to LNL, I mean it is published here... yeah?
I guess patience IS a virtue.
(an ETA of 'sometime before the end of 2020' would be welcome).

David Heath

Administrator
Staff member
Website
lnlpublishing.com
Lock ‘n’ Load Publishing and Panther Games are pleased to announce that the much anticipated Command Ops 2 update is now available as a public beta build on Steam. Here is a direct link: https://steamcommunity.com/app/521800/allnews/

The new Bradley at Bay module is under final testing and we plan to release this very soon. It comprises nine scenarios covering operations in the Lorraine and Huertgen regions on the Western Front in 1944/45. It will retail for US$29.99.

Please note that all future sales of Command Ops modules will be delivered via Steam. Steam keys for your existing modules purchased through LNL can be obtained from the LNL shop free of charge. (Insert link or specific instructions). You will still be able to purchase Command Ops from the LNL store. But the product will be automatically delivered from the Steam store and you will need Steam to run them. The Command Ops forum on LNL will continue to be the premier forum for discussing Command Ops. We have taken this step to streamline the delivery of the product and to facilitate prime focus on product development.

ultradave

Pity.
Seems odd that it would appear on steam prior to LNL, I mean it is published here... yeah?
I guess patience IS a virtue.
(an ETA of 'sometime before the end of 2020' would be welcome).

Ah, well, there's your answer ^^^ . I haven't used Steam too much but I do have it and one of the reasons why was to have access to the newer game engine (prior to this).

Dave

TMO

Sorry, might be me being a bit thick. Does a Steam ‘download’ actually download onto my machine and if so where does it put the files? Can I still mod using map/establish maker etc. ? Don’t understand how Steam works. Sorry for being a bit of a Luddite. Regards. Tim.

ioncore

Website
ioncore.livejournal.com
Does a Steam ‘download’ actually download onto my machine and if so where does it put the files?

Yes, it actually downloads files onto your machine and, basically, you have everything like with a regular installer but stored at the special steam folder.
Therefore the game will reside physically at
<YOUR_STEAM_FOLDER>\steamapps\common\Command Ops 2
The actual location depends of where you've your Steam client (<YOUR_STEAM_FOLDER>) installed which is by default "Program Files/Steam".

Can I still mod using map/establish maker etc. ?
Yes, everything can be used without limitations. Also there are 1-2 dozens of very nice user-made scenarios available via Steam Workshop.

The best thing about Steam is that we will be able to roll out updates and bugfixes almost immediately, the same date they've been fixed and not 3 years later as a part of one massive update.

TMO

Ok, only done the free download. Still struggling to ting estab editor etc. Regards. Tim.

Rake

I don't understand the draw of Steam. I have it and own a couple of games, but I don't like it and rarely play. This may well be the deciding factor that makes me pass on BaB.

Agema

I don't understand the draw of Steam. I have it and own a couple of games, but I don't like it and rarely play. This may well be the deciding factor that makes me pass on BaB.

I certainly appreciate the simplicity of just downloading a game and done, without requiring another program lurking in the background to run it. On the other hand, I've also noticed some developers like Paradox or Frontier effectively have their own launcher overlays doing a similar thing anyway, even without going through Steam.

However, all in all, I like Steam. I play a broad range of games, some which are hard to access digitally without it. It is extremely convenient to find stuff, purchase, install, update. I originally had the CO2 download direct from LnL, but switched to the Steam installation when I got a new laptop for that reason. Some devs/publishers also seem to like it for having a lot of developer/publisher support, and it's quite possibly easier and cheaper for devs / publishers to outsource digital distribution to Steam than run their own.

I've used a few other digital distributors (e.g. Activision/Blizzard, Epic Games, I think Ubisoft had one for a while and maybe still does) to play the odd thing, and broadly, they suck compared to Steam and I view them as deal-breakers for anything but the biggest must-haves.

Grognerd

The draw of Steam is allowing small niche developers the ability to reach a bigger market share and concentrate their efforts into development. A developer like Panther games does not have the deep pockets of larger developers. Wargames are very niche markets.
I will buy BaB mostly to finance the continued development of the game engine and modules.

I'm mostly looking past Khalkhyn-Gol module, even though I'll buy it too, to the "bread and butter" east front modules. (hopefully if I live long enough)

Hey its not that I won't play these modules because I will, I just want to get to the eastern front - Great Patriotic war/Operation Barbarossa sooner than later!