Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

SITREP

Grognerd

I'll second that reply.
I sure have come to realize how complicated this program is by virtue of using the editors!
Hope you got it nailed down, will be some fun to play it and see the behavior differences in the AI.

VinSix

Has the new attack code updates been released yet? I am almost waiting to play until after this is released lol

ultradave

I thought I was in a marathon last year. No one told me it was going to turn into an epic. :)
I've run many. And my wife is an ultramarathon runner. Her advice to me when I tried one the first time (50 mile trail race in VT) was - Just keep moving forward and realize you have nothing else on your calendar today except "run"

The just keep moving forward part, at least, is appropriate. :)

Dave

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
SITREP Friday 21 Jan 21.

Hi all,

I've made good progress this week, finally knocking on the head some of these scheduling issues bedevilling the attack. Interspersed with this bug stomping I've made mods to prevent the AI from choosing what I would call bad approach routes for the attack. I had one example where the approach route went to the right of the objective, punched through the main enemy defence line, wheeled left past the objective before wheeling left again before punching back through the enemy into friendly territory, and choosing its FUP and reserve loc. It did this because there was a river blocking a direct path from the main friendly force to this FUP.

To address this I have tweaked the modifiers for enemy controlled territory and added a cap to the total move cost of the route. Trouble is right now I determine the initial yardstick based on the frontal approach route and then modifiy its route's total tick count by 3 to produce the maxModifiedTicks as my cap. If the path finding code determines that a location's travel cost exceeds the maxModifiedTicks then that loc will be ignored and the pathfinding will have to choose a different path. But I just realised from my last run through that the frontal approach is noit factoring in map control for its shortest or direct path. So the tick count is quite low and soon exceeded for the other non-frontal approaches.

I've run out of puff now for this week. I'll get back to it on Monday.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
SITREP 16:30 Friday Feb 22.

Hi all,

It's been an eventful week here. Several cuts of the code now see the cap on attack pathing working. Today I successfully tested the latest version of this code and saw the initial attack by CCA in the Tutorial scenario kill off the flank approaches because of the rivers and enemy controlled areas to the flanks. It put in a frontal attack and then moved across the river at Steinbruck. It subsequently put in another attack on the north side of the crossing towards Lommersweiller. This time the flank approaches proved valid but were constrained as I hoped. It chose on of the flank attacks and I was mighty pleased with the result.

So good news on that front. I really need to test this a bit more. I will do so next week.

nelmsm

Well done Sir! So appreciative of the hard work you continue to put in on this great game

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
SITREP Fri 18 Feb 22

Hi all,

With the attack code actually working, I tested the game and found that the new seniorHQ basing code has some unintended consequences. When we base the senior HQ (say a Bde HQ) it gets siphoned off from the main force group (mainFG) and assigned to its own HQ Basing task. The mainFG ends up being commanded by one of the brigade's BnHQ. This senior subordinate (seniorSub) ends up as the hub of any formation for the mainFG. It also ends up conducting the reassessments for the mainFG. This is not good. Not only is the seniorSub overloaded for command purposes, but it doesn't include any based arty when it comes to doing an attack from a Move mission. Also when launching an attack it determines that it should go to the reserveLoc and so only has two sub-attack, rather than the three Bn level sub attacks you would expect from a brigade attack.

To fix this we need to do two things. First we need to ensure that the based HQ does the reassessments and not the seniorSub. Second we need to find a way to assign the seniorSub to command its battalion and not be the hub of the formation.

I have explored ways for the latter and each is less than satisfactory or requires a lot of reworking. So I've opted to shelve this aspect for now and concentrate on having the basedHQ do the reassessments. I've started with the reassess for a Move. I've cloned the normal TaskMove::ReassessTaskSelf(), renamed it as ReassessMove() and call this for basedHQs in addition to their normal TaskDefend::ReassessTaskSelf(). I have been working my way through the code and modifying it so it uses the existing mainFG subject's location instead of the based HQ location to determine enemy threats, routes and approaches etc. I'm part way there now. But it's going to take a bit longer to finish and more to test. What I want to see is that the brigade launches an attack with three sub-attacks and with the full support of its based arty. If I can get that done I will release a new beta, knowing that there is still more to do. But at least this will get a working version of the game out to everyone.

BTW tomorrow is my birthday and I'm under starters orders not to work this weekend.

song

Thank you Dave for your excellent and rigorous works. And I wish you will be happy on your coming birthday.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
SITREP Sat 26 Feb 2022

Hi all,

Haven't done much programming this week. We have been preoccupied with the Ukraine. My colleague and friend, Pavlo, who goes by the nic of ioncore on this forum is Ukrainian. He lives and works in Germany. He was originally from the Donbas region. He lost a brother a few years back when they managed to move their mother to Kiev. Now she is trapped there in Kiev, with fighting at its doorstep. It's a very concerning time. My thoughts and prayers are with Pavlo and his family.