Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

SITREP

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
I worked on the code most of the week while also ironing out some backup issues. I had a Teams meeting with Pavlo early this morning my time, late the previous night for him. It was very productive. I'm making progress. But we still have more to do. There is a bit of to and fro here as I work out just how much I need to determine up front for sub attacks and how much I can leave to the subordinates. Please bear with us. I'm doing my best.

compin

Bien dit :) (mais j'ai hate)
Il faut bien reconnaitre que l'on est pas déçu depuis le lancement de chaque progrès accompli :oops: Et donc j'ai également hate de voir le produit avec certainement d'autres surprises que nous réserve Dave.

PS: ca fait plaisir de constater que quelques français que je salue amicalement sont sur le réseau!

compin

Yes I am slow and old. Alas, my school French is mostly long forgot, which testifies to my age. But welcome folks. Hopefully we can provide a surprise or too soon enough.
Since the begining , I was never disappointed by the game and any of your "surprises". Thank you.....Sir

PS: I explained that in my post just above.... in my native language

Tisseire

Il faut bien reconnaitre que l'on est pas déçu depuis le lancement de chaque progrès accompli :oops: Et donc j'ai également hate de voir le produit avec certainement d'autres surprises que nous réserve Dave.

PS: ca fait plaisir de constater que quelques français que je salue amicalement sont sur le réseau!
oui grande hate aussi , j'avoue je ne pratique plus depuis un an dans l'attente de cette grosse MAJ (WITE 2 et FOG 2 pour me faire patienter)

Le gac

Content aussi de voir des Français sur ce site de niche. Command ops est vraiment un super jeu très réaliste et j'ai aussi hâte de voir la suite...
Si celle-ci pouvait redynamiser le jeu et apporter plein de nouveaux scénarios .:nailbiting:
:nailbiting:

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
SITREP Friday 11 Nov 2022

Hi all,

Made good progress with the attack overhaul this week. FYI the main function used to plan an attack in my code is DevelopAttack(). It's part of the plan doctrine. I have finished restructuring it. It now creates a swag of common tasks up front. These include the new assemble tasks - moveToAssembly, nearAssemblyDefend and assemble tasks. There is a similar set for the reserve. Plus, there are the independent tasks for things like the base and forces that may be too far away, out of fuel or static defenders etc. DevelopAttack, aka DA(), determines the best approaches and then calls DevelopBasicAttack() (aka DBA()) if the attack force has no more than one HQ or DevelopComnplexAttack() (aka DCA()) if there are two or more HQs.

These subordinate functions create the remaining tasks specific to their type. DBA creates moveToFUP, nearFUPDefend, FUPReorg, assault and finalReorg for a basic attack. While for a complex attack, DCA creates a set of sub attack tasks. Both functions allocate forces and determine the various force groups. They both tweak a plethora of attributes like location offsets, speed, timings etc. They they both return to the DA(). This then verifies the data, kills off unused tasks and tidies up.

I have been steadily working my way through all this code. My PlanAttack code file currently sits at 23,465 lines. That's a fair chunk of code and there is still a bit more to go. Today I was at the bottom of DCA() when I realised that the old methods for allocating and managing fire support units need to be revised to work with the new doctrine. I need to constrain the deployment of long range arty units to within a region that follows the approach route plus or minus a range of say one or two kms. That way they will stay close to the main route and khopefully out of harms way. I will do this next week. I also need to revise the handling or short range arty, like mortars. I'm going to ensure that if they have effective range from the reserveLoc, then they will stay with their Bn HQ, otherwise they will be assigned to the assault and use the code that drops them off once they get within range of the objective.

I'm hopeful I can sort these out early next week. I then need to implement some changes Pavlo has provided to the interface code that will enable our code to run under Win 11. With the demise of my old PC I have moved to Win 11 and that necessitated moving to Visual Studio 2022. But this caused our old interface code a swag of problems and I could not get the game to compile. With a bit of luck we should get the attack up and running by end of next week. It won't be perfect but at least we'll have a running game to test it.

compin

thanks for your hopeful message on 11th November.....not a common day in the military history of our countries ! On the way to victory?

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
compin,

The funny thing is that at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month I was so deep into my programming that I completely forgot about Armistace Day. It wasn't until later in the evening when it came up on the News that I remembered. It's over a hundred years now since the end of WW1 and yet here the world is fighting another war in Europe. When will we rid ourselves of tinpot dictators whose egos are so desperate to go down in the annuls of history as a "great man". They cause so much suffering and in the end it is for nothing. It always ends the same for these fools.

compin

compin,

The funny thing is that at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month I was so deep into my programming that I completely forgot about Armistace Day. It wasn't until later in the evening when it came up on the News that I remembered. It's over a hundred years now since the end of WW1 and yet here the world is fighting another war in Europe. When will we rid ourselves of tinpot dictators whose egos are so desperate to go down in the annuls of history as a "great man". They cause so much suffering and in the end it is for nothing. It always ends the same for these fools.
The original sin : pride.....

MarkShot

Dave,

Good to hear your virtual voice. Please give my regards to Paul and Steve if you are in touch with them. (Hello David Heath!) I heard from Ray about month ago. Getting older (80+) but well aware of what is going on around him in the UK. I don't know if that is good or bad. I run into Richard from time to time.

Dave, working with you was one of the high lights of my gaming hobby. Thank you so much for suggesting to join the RDOA team. Be well.

I am still isolating here in Taiwan as thousands are dying every month of COVID.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Good to hear from you too, Mark. We're starting our fifth wave of Covid here In Australia. According to the stats we've lost just under 16K so far. Like you I'm self-isolating. I make an occasional foray to the supermarket and chemist, but largely rely on delivery services. My wife is suffering from long covid. Thankfully I escaped. She got it while working at the hospital and is now going through negotiations so she can work from home. What amazes me is that people here have virtually abandoned taking simple precautions like wearing face masks and distancing. Though the Government here is considering re-introducing these measures. But they always seem to wait far too long to do so and in the meantime the body count piles up.