Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Situation Map missing from scenario selection screen

Steven Warn

Hi All,

Picked up HTTR, Ride of the Valkyries and Bastogne in the sale. Noticed there are no maps shown when selecting scenarios in HTTR. The maps work fine in ROTV and Bastogne.
At first, I thought being the oldest game, maybe none were made for it. But then I saw a two year old YouTube videos where the presenter has HTTR with nice maps in the scen selection.

Obviously not a game breaker. But I'm one of these people that thinks...ok..if that didn't install properly...what else didn't? Am I meant to upgrade?
I did have a look through the game files for any Holland maps floating around..to no avail.
thanks
Steve W

Hi All,

Picked up HTTR, Ride of the Valkyries and Bastogne in the sale. Noticed there are no maps shown when selecting scenarios in HTTR. The maps work fine in ROTV and Bastogne.
At first, I thought being the oldest game, maybe none were made for it. But then I saw a two year old YouTube videos where the presenter has HTTR with nice maps in the scen selection.

Obviously not a game breaker. But I'm one of these people that thinks...ok..if that didn't install properly...what else didn't? Am I meant to upgrade?
I did have a look through the game files for any Holland maps floating around..to no avail.
thanks
Steve W
The Situational Awareness Map (SAM) for the scenario should be in the game scenario directory (c:\<game install location>\ scenarios\Highway to the Reich Scenarios\<scenario name>SAM.bmp).

The initial release of the scenario pack may not have had SAMs developed at the time the game was released. Subsequent updates changed the scenario information to include SAMs in the display and installed the SAMs in the appropriate game directories.

So, I'd suggest running the game updates to see if it corrects the problem.

Steven Warn

Thanks for your reply Jim.
I ended up going over to Steam and that fixed the SAM problem and updated me to 5.1.31.
At first I tried updating through the program update link but this wouldn't take me higher than 5.1.28.
So, moving forward, do I just let play through Steam and let them handle the upgrades?
Is there any advantage to keeping the non-Steam version on my computer?
A big thankyou to Roger Kirkham for his Steam post.
Cheers all.
Steve W

Thanks for your reply Jim.
I ended up going over to Steam and that fixed the SAM problem and updated me to 5.1.31.
At first I tried updating through the program update link but this wouldn't take me higher than 5.1.28.
So, moving forward, do I just let play through Steam and let them handle the upgrades?
Is there any advantage to keeping the non-Steam version on my computer?
A big thankyou to Roger Kirkham for his Steam post.
Cheers all.
Steve W
The next update should bring both versions to the same version, so the decision is yours.

The versions got out of sync when a public beta test version was released in Steam and not released to the public via LnL.

I prefer the LnL version because it doesn't include the "marketing overhead" I receive to operate in Steam. But, the Steam version has proposed fixes (by now standards) for problems that were discovered in the 5.1.28 version.