Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Skorzeny's Bid For Glory

Bullman

Hi,

In the Ride of The Valkyries pack there is a scenario called "Skorzeny's Bid For Glory". I have been attempting to win convincingly at this scenario playing as the Germans.

It is a small challenging scenario that is easy to manage but apparently difficult to master.

I have yet to work out a reliable battle plan that will ensure a good stab at securing a good victory. I have managed a minor victory but it wasn't satisfying enough. The US have so much artillery that my un-motorized inf companies get decimated attempting to cross the open terrain towards the objectives. I have yet to even enter the Malmedy objective.

Have a go at it yourself if you are up for a bit of a challenge. Would be good to hear how others have fared with this scenario. It makes for an interesting exercise in tactics, planning and execution through CO2.

Last edited:

Bullman

Seems I have worked out a plan for this battle that can lead to a decisive victory.

The key it seems is to micro your units, plotting concealed paths through woods to infiltrate the US positions east of Malmedy, use the long range capabilities of your armor from over watch positions on the hills and maximum use of the arty assets that you have.

It involves assigning the three infantry companies of Kamfgruppe X (two forward, one in reserve overlooking the VL) to take the West Bridge VL on the left flank by crossing the stream through the woods and advancing up the narrow slither of woods leading to the VL, with the armored recon platoon providing support from across the stream in the woods nearby. The mortar platoon provides arty support as required. I was able to play the entire scenario without sending any more units to support this area.

The panzer grenadier company was placed locally as a reserve to challenge any US attacks up the valley to the German side of the map. The panzer company is located high on the hills to provide long range fire support across the valley to enemy positions on the other side.

On the right I send the two infantry and the one panzer grenadier companies of Kamfgruppe Y through a concealed path NE along the road then NW along the path crossing the river to infiltrate the woods on the hills east of Malmedy on the other side of the stream. Their job is to find and clear any enemy from the hills and woods east of Malmedy. The panzer grenadier company continues north along the paths and road to Gdoumont and Chodes to secure/scout that region as a form up point for future attacks with the reinforcements. The Stug company are again placed on the hills overlooking the valley to provide long range fire support. The remaining infantry company is used to attack along the main highway to Malmedy and secure the town close by to Geromont, keeping that road open for the future attack by reinforcements.

When Kamfgruppe Z arrives, I send them all on a covered long trek across to the right then north and to the area around Gdoumon and Chodes for the eventual attack on Malmedy from the NE.

When the 1st BN HQ 12th SS arrive, their tanks are used to again provide long range support in to and around Malmedy. The panzer grenadier compaines from these reinforcements attack up the main highway approaching Malmedy from the SE/E from while Kamfgruppe Kuhlmann has some very valuable 105mm arty which is key to breaking the defences at Malmedy on the final day.

Be interesting to hear of any alternate battle plans or attempts at executing this one.

Last edited:

Bullman

OK

anlgg6.jpg

Daz

Well played mate :)
Love the image as well as, it speaks a thousand words ;)
Very nice right hook, coming down off the high ground to the NE of Malmedy. You get some good cover there as well from the orchards.

john connor

Like it. I must confess to never having touched this scenario (because it's 'what-if') but I might have a look! Thanks for the post, Bullman, especially the graphic.

Peter

Kaunitz

Necro powers!

75DA067CA0C96E894FA29580C7671DB31E018C23

I used an approach that was quite different from yours. I set up my "base" in the wood at Burmenville and entered Malmedy in a massive, concentrated push via the woods from the northwest. It was not without risks, as my infantry would have had to cross the river (which was passable for infantry) if forced to retreat. But this approach still seemed to be most promising to me: On the attack, I find that it is imperative to get as close to the objective as possible without getting seen. If you are detected, enemy artillery will at least disrupt and delay if not stop your attack completely. In this particular case, all the other approaches to the city were dominated by the hills who would have eyes down into the valleys and I was not sure whether I had the power and the time to neutralize them. So I just had my tanks (and at night: infantry) contest the highground at Floriheid from where the other hills could be taken under rather ineffective fire and from where I could get eyes on what was going on around the town - as I kept my main force out of sight of the enemy, I also had no eyes on him!

So, in short, instead of fighting for the highway and the hills, I just sneaked into the town via the woods. :)

Last edited:

simovitch

This was one of my designs from the original BFTB release on Matrix and I'm glad to see others are enjoying it because it really is a nice, compact little gem with multiple strategies available.

It was originally designed to be historical, but like the historical outcome Skorzeny's kampfgruppe kept getting bitch-slapped mercilessly by the artillery. That's why I bit the bullet and added the KG from 12SS Panzer (which would have been operating in the area if it would have been successful in bypassing the Elsenborn Ridge.)