Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Smoke from Mortars

Nick DelCorpo

I have searched high and low but have found nothing. Does anyone know if smoke is allowed to be fired from mortars. Me and my pop are just house ruling smoke rule. Basically we are going to use the standard mortar indirect fire procedure and if it hit will then place a smoke 1 marker in the hex where it landed (according to normal procedure).

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
From V5.0, page 44:
Vehicles (15.0), Mortar WTs and Offboard Artillery (18.2) CANNOT fire or lay Smoke unless specified in a Special Scenario Rule (SSR, 22.0).

From V5.0, page 98:
Onboard Mortars and Off-board Artillery cannot fire/lay Smoke (7.0) unless noted in a Special Scenario Rule (SSR).

Nick DelCorpo

Thanks. I guess the 5th edition really clarifies things. Is smoke prohibited in this way because of complexity, because I'll def stick with the house rule as it adds quite a few new tactics to the game and is pretty standard stuff. Seems odd we have stinger misses but not smoke launchers or smoke rounds with our mortar teams? whats going on here? :)