Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Solo Rules Questions

Mark Stout

I'm trying to get my head wrapped around some of the nuances of the solo system and how best to employ it.

1) What exactly is considered a stack?

2) Opportunity Fire seems very predictable and easy to "game." Anyone using any workarounds? Or are most just going strictly with the charts?

Thanks in advance.

Barthheart

Staff member
1) A stack is more than one combat unit in a hex.
I.E. two MMCs is a stack, an MMC with a support weapon is not a stack.

2) What do you consider predictable? Op fire choices can be forced even when playing FTF. It's part of the game to use up Op fire so you can move other units....

Mark Stout

1) A stack is more than one combat unit in a hex.
I.E. two MMCs is a stack, an MMC with a support weapon is not a stack.

2) What do you consider predictable? Op fire choices can be forced even when playing FTF. It's part of the game to use up Op fire so you can move other units....

Thanks for the help.

1) Is a SMC leader and an MMC a stack?

2) I was playing a scenario recently that had a multitude of units attacking a few, and I had the AEO set as the defenders. Based on the knowledge of the charts I could move a single MMC unit in a behind degradable terrain knowing that the AI will always fire, then move more important pieces with impunity. I suppose one could use a die roll to add some variety to the op fire?

Barthheart

Staff member
1) Yes.

2) We'll that is a valid tactic in a 2 player game as well... but yes a real opponent might not fire at the first target. Yes, a die roll is a good idea to add in some variability. You could weight it based on how dangerous the moving units are or how close they are coming.

Norm

The Opportunity Fire Defensive Posture flow chart is set out in a way that makes it cautious about using its fire when there are other threats, but tends to look for enemy stacks, but if enemy are spread out, then the intention of the flow chart is somewhat undermined. This is one of those areas that I think I would ignore the system and do what feels right having regard for the overall situation.

I had a situation in which a sniper was scaring three enemy (not stacked) nearby units. If the sniper fired on one, the other two would have moved into the sniper position and taken it out - better for the AEO to keep the sniper as a threat unless directly compromised.

Mark Stout

The Opportunity Fire Defensive Posture flow chart is set out in a way that makes it cautious about using its fire when there are other threats, but tends to look for enemy stacks, but if enemy are spread out, then the intention of the flow chart is somewhat undermined. This is one of those areas that I think I would ignore the system and do what feels right having regard for the overall situation.

I had a situation in which a sniper was scaring three enemy (not stacked) nearby units. If the sniper fired on one, the other two would have moved into the sniper position and taken it out - better for the AEO to keep the sniper as a threat unless directly compromised.

Thanks Guys,

I'm finding the flowcharts to be well done but the op fire is a little off. Unless I'm reading it wrong (very possible) it seems the aeo will always fire at a moving single unit no matter how many stacks are waiting to move. This is assuming that the aeo is single mmc, which is the case most of the time.

As a counterpoint: If the aoe doesn't fire, and the moving unit is within 4 (six with a leader) then they run the risk of being trapped in melee without damaging anyone.

Norm

Thanks Guys,

I'm finding the flowcharts to be well done but the op fire is a little off. Unless I'm reading it wrong (very possible) it seems the aeo will always fire at a moving single unit no matter how many stacks are waiting to move. This is assuming that the aeo is single mmc, which is the case most of the time.

As a counterpoint: If the aoe doesn't fire, and the moving unit is within 4 (six with a leader) then they run the risk of being trapped in melee without damaging anyone.

Mark, you can always choose to ignore the card or flow chart if you feel it is detrimental to the AEO

Also since the AEO can opportunity fire at any time (page 11 of solo rules), ignoring the flow chart and waiting for enemy units to move adjacent may be a prefered option. The balance as always is how much do you let the system control without intervention and how often do you step in and do something that is in the better interests of the AEO.

Mark Stout

Yes, that's the conundrum. If I start ignoring the charts and cards too much, then I'm better off with the old school solitaire of playing both sides. I remember you having a lengthy discussion on BGG about this very issue. Your problem was solved by relinquishing control and giving the aeo its head, so to speak. I guess I'm trying to find that sweet spot.

Thanks for taking the time to engage in this debate with me.

Mark Stout

Another quick question. I know rule states that attempting to spot, failing and being marked as ops complete does not constitute an impulse. But how failing a smoke attempt. I'm assuming it's the same, but we all know what assuming gets you.

Warwalk99

I have played it that popping smoke (success or failure) is an Ops Complete. The reasoning is that even though the smoke counter doesn't get placed when it fails due to the "wind quickly blows it away" or a "dud canister" still takes an action to perform and occupies some time of the unit trying to do the action.