Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Solo system ~ expanded

banania

I have expanded a bit on the solo system. The solo system is workable, but IMO, too dependant on "bypass what the AI would do because it's stupid". And it lacks some information about decision making (like how many units to activate, how to set up etc).

Of course an AI-paper system will never be as good as a computerized system, but I tried to make it less dependant on AI-overrule:

1. I included the "Random Setup" rule designed by Gábor Venczel here
2. I clarified the "key" card definition and added decision-making tools, specifically referring to "causing damage"
3. I added a system of "AI Fate Points" which are randomly generated by the system and spent mostly during the Rally Phase to reduce overhead. It gives the AI an impredictable edge.

I'm starting to hit a sweet spot with those rules where you don't have to overrule too much the AI, I'd say maybe 20% of the time. The AI is still a bit dumb (and I am not even a great player) but it also now has an edge with its Fate Points, so it evens out the odds.

You will find my rules here, please feel free to comment here, or directly on the google docs document:

Speder

This looks very promising! I will try out. I like the surge and the fate points but worry about the extra "admin" - I tend to forget things like this when in the heat of battle. Thinking that the number of fate points could be given at game start based on number of units on AEO side, combined with a max spend per turn. I think maybe I would limit use to rally only to keep it simple.

Regarding surge - really like the idea, but again could it trigger in a easier way? Technically I like a trigger effect better than a "check". A trigger could be ie a unit eliminated - this could also be better for a game levelling perspective? One problem with the surge is that it is stronger when AEO is offensive - often a defensive posture will just lead to passes. Could it be that if defensive posture the your idea of removing an OPS marker would be better?

Will playtest and think and get back to you!

Cheers

Søren

banania

I'd really like to keep the Fate Points / AEO Surge on a "random trigger", but I'm open to any other suggestion that might reduce bookkeeping or
overhead. Or maybe the number of Fate Points the AEO get could simply determined at the beginning of the game, for example the AEO would get 2D6 worth of Fate Points. The max spent per turn is a good idea.

About the AEO surge, is the trigger that difficult? I mean, the one for the Fate Points is a bit convoluted, I'll give you that, but as far as AEO surge, it's just a comparison of the upped die-icon on two successive cards?

You're right that the AEO surge is better on offensive, even though we can imagine a surge-train were the defensive AEO passes 3 times, and your turn is screwed, but it's cartainly marginal. What could be done is:
If the AI is on a defensive posture, it gets +1 DRM.
Result 1 : nothing happens
2-3 : AEO surge
4-7 : remove Op Complete
That way, it tunes down the offensive a bit, since you don't get a DRM

Also thanks for your feedback, and awaiting your playtest experience with much interest.