Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

(Some more) rookie rules questions ...

ChuckB

Hi,

Still very much enjoying getting into the LnLT system; at this point, I'm playing solo games (playing both sides) on VASSAL and it's good to learn the system.
Some more questions/clarifications I came across:

1. One of the difficulties when attacking an enemy position is the OF of the approaching unit since (at least at one point) the attacker will be in an adjacent hex, which means a DFT +2 bonus and automatic spotting. One way around that seems to me to trigger prior firing of the defender to take away the OF opportunity (or prior movement of the defender), correct? After reading the rules I'm not sure if a shaken unit can OF - on one hand the rules state that shaken units cannot use their IFP (5.1) but that would leave the possibility that they are treated like a 0 IFP unit, on the other hand, the rules regarding OF (5.3) do not specify that only GO units can OF. I'm probably missing something here ...

2. My understanding is that OF does NOT "include" any spotting of the firing unit and can be used against any moving unit (with the exception of units moving by way of low crawl or stealth) in any terrain, is that correct? That would mean that units moving my low crawl and stealth would be safe of any OF unless (a) the hex they moved into was spotted in the same turn or (b) the movement of the unit is into hex adjacent to the units performing OF because that would lead to automatic spotting (meaning that neither low crawl nor stealth would be a solution for the problem described in 1. above either )

3. Again, I may be missing something here but it seems that but for some LoS situation, elevation does not seem to matter within LnLT: movement does not seem to be affected (moving uphill does not consume more MP), nor is range of spotting or firing and elevation cannot be found as a factor in either in the DFT, the TEC, or melee, is this correct? If so, this feels a bit strange, as elevation/hills plays a role in real life, even on the tactical level, especially also with single vehicles (such as in connection with armor defending from a hull-down position). Am I missing something?
Thanks a lot!

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
1. Yes, a unit marked fired cannot OF so have it use it's firing potential first then close on it. Not being able to use your IFP does not mean your IFP is 0. There are unshaken units with IFP =0, meaning they can use it but with no modifier. Shaken units have an asterisk for IFP on their shaken side, meaning they have no IFP, not even zero

2. Yes, OF does not include any spotting. In fact, it does not need it, the targetted units ARE spotted because they are moving. Note that stealth moving units can move adjacent to enemy units without being spotted, but, jsut as the low craling ones, they will be spotted if moving into open terrain in the LOS of a GO enemy unit

3. You do get a +1 TM from firer located at a lower level (see DFT)

ChuckB

Hi Stéphane,

Thanks for your quick response. Some additional questions:

1. Regarding OF and shaken units: does the asterisk for IFP for shaken units mean that they cannot fire (including OF) at all? It sounds like that's what you're saying and the rules state in 5.1 that "shaken units cannot use either their IFP or any SWs they possess" - I find this sentence not 100% clear, maybe because of the LnLT system using the terms FP and IFP and that I would have found a sentence stating "shaken units cannot fire at all" clearer (I'm probably making this more complicated than it needs to be ...)

2. Thanks - got it. Every move adjacent to a unit leads to the moving unit being automatically spotted and subject to OF with the sole exception of stealth moving into a non-open adjacent hex.

3. Sigh. Overlooked that ...

Ty Snouffer

Hello !

I was looking for this one on the rules or the DFT table, but can't find it. Can you "copy/paste" the rule about it ?

Thanks !!

Here it is from Heroes Against the Red Star
image.jpg