Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Speculations on Eastern Front Operations

EzraNehemiah

I feel a little out of place asking the question so soon (I hope this is the right place for this).

Any future speculations on Eastern Front Operations coming to CO2?

john connor

I think they've been working on the Chir battles just after Stalingrad. There have been some pics of nice maps, but I can't recall where they are now - somewhere in the Matrix forum, I guess.

That's the only pack I've heard about - the Chir front pack. But maybe there are others planned too?

blond_knight

Im curious though, wouldnt creating early Eastern front modules require an engine change to allow for human-wave charges? Requiring logic that basically said "stay in this formation, move to the waypoint regardless of casualties"

Rasputitsa

Is there any chance that this game system can be extended into a strategic scale, with Army/Corps/Division breakdown of units. The issuing of commands/objectives/formation orders to HQ units at that sale would simplify and be more realistic, when compared with other big East Front games.

Dave 'Arjuna' O'Connor

Panther Games Designer
Website
www.panthergames.com
Is there any chance that this game system can be extended into a strategic scale, with Army/Corps/Division breakdown of units. The issuing of commands/objectives/formation orders to HQ units at that sale would simplify and be more realistic, when compared with other big East Front games.
Of course there is and the chance may approach a reasonable level if someone can provide me with two years of salary with which to develop the product.

Rasputitsa

It is encouraging to know that this game system can be extended into a strategic scale, but problematic as to whether it will be extended. If it happened, it would be a spectacular game and after years of micromanaging, counter shoveling titles, it would provide a refreshing and much more realistic improvement to current plodding game engines.

As a customer, the best that I can do is buy your titles to support the effort, pass on my thanks for a great gaming system - and hope.:happy:

X.ray

Of course there is and the chance may approach a reasonable level if someone can provide me with two years of salary with which to develop the product.
Hi Dave, I'm sure it will be a big sale after you make it. There are a lot of people who are strategic freaks out there :smuggrin:

Separate question - would this engine be capable to module pacific wars, where war ships and warplanes instead of infantry and tanks play the main role?

Rasputitsa

It would be quite a thing to see a "War in the East" strategic operation play out under the CO2 engine.
It certainly would, much more realistic than manually shoveling hundreds of counters around the map and you may actually have time to finish a campaign game in one lifetime. CO2 would provide an historically accurate and realistic command and control system, that few other games can match.

john connor

Agreed. However, I believe the engine couldn't handle maps that large. If, say Barbarossa was broken down into multiple Corps level engagements (think how many there would have to be though....), and the engine was developed to make use of multiple cores - might work. But then it still wouldn't be like fighting the whole thing. I'll be happy to get some Chir River Operations, later in the year, hopefully.

J. van Limpt

Hungary 1945 or Silesia 1945 would be superb. I'm very impressed by this game and I hope they will expand it to the Eastern front soon. Preferably the last year of the war.

Guy Miller

I'm just lately getting into the CO2 community, but if Eastern Front is a consideration I would highly recommend Dr. David Stahel's books on the EF. They are unparalleled, in my opinion. He teaches at the "West Point" in Australia. I have communicated with him as well and find he is a very nice gentlemen and scholar.

If any research needs to be done for any potential EF scenarios, I would be glad to help. I know nothing about programming though.