Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Spotted hex remain spotted on new turn ?

Hello !

Just a little question. After an hex was spotted (because of a moving or fired ennemy unit), do this hex remain spotted on a new turn ?

For exemple, on my previous turn, I fired with a LAW on a Sniper in a light forest hex who just fired at an ally. At the start of a new turn, will I be able to fire on him immediatly again with the LAW (with the "Acquiring bonus") on will I have to spot him first (with a spotting action or after he fire again).

Thanks !

Ty Snouffer

A firing unit under an Acquiring marker does not need to spot again. So in your example the LAW does not need to spot again.

Thanks ! But so, it's only for the law unit & not the MMC with it ?

In the general case, each unit need to be re-spotted at each turn, right ?

Ty Snouffer

Hmmm, interesting distinction. The general 10.1 rule is that hexes, not units, are spotted. So my take would be that is a OF SW has spotting on a hex it is spotted for everyone. The other units wouldn't get the LAW's Acquisition modifier but they would get the spotting.

That is how I would interpret it. I don't see anything that says otherwise.

Good question.

Just found that if a unit in a hex is spotted, than every other are also. So, that mean that if the sniper is spotted by the LAW because of the acquisition marker, all the units with the sniper & the sniper are spotted by everyone.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
The fact that the LAW does not have to spot the sniper does not means the snipper's hex is spotted. The snipper is Acquired, not the hex and Beign Acquired does not make you spotted, it just allow the acquiring unit to NOT have to spot. So the hex is still unspotted for all other purposes.

Also, remember that when sniper are stacked with other units, they don't double the TM of the hex

Ty Snouffer

"A firing unit under an Acquiring marker does NOT need to spot (10.1) a target with the same-lettered Acquisition marker."

I get it now. The acquiring doesn't need to spot its target under the marker.

I'd also point out that "Note, as per 14.1, ordnance res either on a specific vehicle or all non-vehicular targets in a hex."

So, if it were a Sniper and an MMC in the hex, they both would have originally been targets of the LAW and would remain spotted in subsequent turns if under an Acquisition marker.

Does that fly?

You got it I think. The point was I talked about targetting the sniper only, but as you said, the LAW can't target just the sniper, but the whole hex.

So all the ennemy units in this hex are "spotted" (acquired) for the LAW, but not for the rest of the squad and other MMC.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Yes Ty, that fly.

MirabelleBenou, you have to think in terms of targets when considering Acquisition. For example, if your LAW fire at a hex containing a vehicle, a hero and a squad, it would acquire either the vehicle or the legs units as its target. Say it acquires the vehicle; the legs units would not be acquired AND would need to be spotted, while the vehicle would be acquired only for the Law (and the unit using it), and no other units, even those in the same hex as the Law; those would still need to spot the vehicle (and the legs unit).

Starman

Spotted markers are removed in the administration phase so they would not carry over from turn to turn.