Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Spotting : C/F to next turn.

Geoff Curran

Hi. I understand that spotting counters come off in the admin phase - but acquisition counters stay on. I don't understand why there is a need to respot a known target ( Eg a bunker with units that fired in the previous turn). I appreciate that someone will say 'that's the rule'. This is a the only rule I don't understand the sense of.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
Unfortunately, the original designer is no longer aboard so it will be very difficult to get an answer to this question. It probably has more to do with the game mechanics as a whole than any realism thing

Zac

Website
zacgaming.wordpress.com
Something like a Bunker is an edge case in the Spotting rules. I think that it was left as is to avoid having an exception to the rule that, as we well know, leads to even further exceptions and then you're playing ASL :) You could also think of it as the requirement to see a target in a location before firing. You know that the bunker is there but you won't fire if you can't see troops.

docsmann

This is where I have a house rule(s).

1. If a hex is spotted either by a spotting attempt, a unit firing from the hex or moving into the hex except under low crawl, that hex stays spotted until the spotting unit moves out of the LOS, the firing unit is destroyed or leaves.

2. In order to try and spot a roof top hex, the spotting unit MUST BE at least two hexes away and GO. This also goes for trying to spot a second floor hex.

I'm working on other house rules as I continue to play through.

Stéphane Tanguay

Staff member
1. How do you keep track of which unit fired on which target? Does it means the target is only spotted for the unit that fired on? And units using Stealth move in blocking/degrading terrain don,t cause the ehx to become spotted.
2. One level in LNLT is about 2-3 meters high. I don't think spotting a unit at an height of 2-3 meters from 50 meters away is really that much difficult

docsmann

Me, I play solitaire. So in order to keep track of who fired at who, I can pretty much keep track in my head. My hardest thing to keep track of is Dice Roll Modifications. So I have a piece of scrap paper for notes. And if I leave in the middle of a scenario, I have the paper to jot notes down on as to who has the next impulse. Just wish I could make a decent combat score sheet for FP+DFT/OFT+LM+D6 etc. for all types of combat fire and won't clutter up my already cluttered game table.