Welcome to the LnLP Forums and Resource Area

We have updated our forums to the latest version. If you had an account you should be able to log in and use it as before. If not please create an account and we look forward to having you as a member.

Spotting Round during Night scenario

Stefano G.

Hello everyone,
I have a question about placing "Spotting Round" marker during a night scenario.

During night scenario i know that a Starshells marker illuminates and makes visible, as per Day rules, the hex it occupies and six adjacents too... well, so, in one of these 7 hexes, a "Spotting Round" marker can be placed...but can, during a Night Scenario, a Spotting Round be placed even on "Fired" Marked enemy unit?...in Night rule 20.0 is written that such "Fired" marked unit can be fired on, but it's not so clear if it can be Spotted for OffBoard Arty too.

Thank you a lot

Last edited:

Cottonbaler

I would think that a "Fired" unit would be able to be spotted for Off-Board artillery if the spotter has LOS to the "Fired" unit hex. The gun fire flashes of the Fired unit would stand out at night and give the spotter a general reference for calling in fire.

Qwirz

I agree. SR can be placed on any hex in LOS. If a "fired" hex is in LOS...Mmm..it IS in LOS:) .The problem is if SR scatters. Quite surely it goes out of LOS and have to be removed.

Jeff Lewis

Spotting Round can be placed on Fired marker hex in LOS. Can adjust it as long as it stays in LOS, as per normal.

Stefano G.

Thank all of you for your reply :)

Hello Qwirz, i quite agree with Jeff: a spotting round should be visible at night (it should be an explosive round) so if it scatters in a not-fired marked Hex, it should be still visible and, if in LOS, adjustable by one, as per normal rule.

Only one question again:
is there a difference in Scattering modifier for Spotting Round placed in one of the 7 StarShell illuminated Hexes or placed in "Fired" marked Hex?...i suppose that StarShell makes target hexe(s) better visible than a "Fired" Marked, so have both the situations the same "+1" scattering modifier for Night rule or, in case of StarShell, there is no modifier (it illuminates the 7 hexes as they were floodlit)? :rolleyes:

Jeff Lewis

Thank all of you for your reply :)

Hello Qwirz, i quite agree with Jeff: a spotting round should be visible at night (it should be an explosive round) so if it scatters in a not-fired marked Hex, it should be still visible and, if in LOS, adjustable by one, as per normal rule.

Only one question again:
is there a difference in Scattering modifier for Spotting Round placed in one of the 7 StarShell illuminated Hexes or placed in "Fired" marked Hex?...i suppose that StarShell makes target hexe(s) better visible than a "Fired" Marked, so have both the situations the same "+1" scattering modifier for Night rule or, in case of StarShell, there is no modifier (it illuminates the 7 hexes as they were floodlit)? :rolleyes:
The +1 remains in either case. It's night.

Qwirz

Hi Stefano!
Jeff said "Can adjust it as long as it stays in LOS, as per normal."
I don't think he meant that scattering SR are automatically in LOS. As long as it stays in LOS, at night, depends on the distance and "illumination" status of the hex it lands in. If it scatters in a dark hex not in night range, it is not in LOS.
....Jeff?

Jeff Lewis

It's LOS regardless of night/day as it would be visible; it's an explosion after all.

Cottonbaler

The flash of a nighttime explosion is more noticeable than a daytime flash in my experience. In daylight the dust, smoke, and falling debris are more noticeable than the actual flash of the explosion. In game terms, a blast would be seen well beyond any nighttime spotting limit provided of course blocking terrain doesn't stand between the spotter and the blast location.

Last edited: